Skip to main content Skip to bottom nav

I was a male bulemic for 8 years

MegaEXE5976 November 15th, 2023

TW - Purging, stomach surgery, abuse

I used to throw up a lot when I was a kid but when I got older, it got worse. It all started one day I thought if I threw up it went outweigh all the healthy food I had eaten that day and it would make me feel better and then it did not.

This behavior followed me all the way through high school for about three years. My grandmother was very abusive towards me, and I was never allowed to be friends With people because she always had an excuse, and basically wanted me to be her caretaker, and I was basically pushed on her.

One day when I got sick, I realize how good it felt throwing up and releasing it and it kind of made me feel a little stress-free so after a while, I kept the habits going for a long, long time.

About five years later, I start having acid reflux problems that had begun two years prior and had slowly gotten worse. I went to a doctor and found out. I had a Heidel hernia, and my sphincter was damaged.

it got to the point where every time I would eat. I would have an acid attack and I was throwing up, regardless of if I wanted to because I was stressed out or if my body was just throwing up because of what I had done to it for so long. I had truly screwed up my body, and it was taking its toll.

I had to get surgery to get my stomach pulled down and they had to tie my stomach around my esophagus to fix what was going on.

After my surgery I thought about throwing up again four months later, because I had been so stressed out and I choked. As a result of my surgery, I am no longer able to throw up anymore.

I have been three years sober since the surgery and I have felt better and a lot of my bodily functions have returned to normal. I do wish that I had had somebody to talk to me about the dangers of this disease and it wasn’t just a joke that supermodels or other people got into, but wasn’t actual serious issue.

If you are dealing with a similar experience, I'm here to support you.

SakuraBlossom23 November 15th, 2023

I feel sorry to hear your grandmother’s past abuse. Have you sought any counseling to help you identify the stressors/triggers from that experience?

As a part-time bulimic (I don’t throw up after meal but I do when I’m under a certain amount of anxiety), it’s something I’m ashamed of to even speak to anyone about, especially those closest to me.