Skip to main content Skip to bottom nav

Learning to help my loved one

Lintspace March 27th, 2021

Hello. I’m new here. I’m looking for support on how to better educate myself on how to support my wife who suffers from bulimia nervosa. She has been struggling with this disorder for many years and has tried many treatments. But so far nothing has helped her recover. I spend lots of time online trying to educate myself on this disorder and what I can do to best support her. But it’s all just academic. And I feel like a fraud trying to give advice on something I don’t personally understand. I welcome any suggestions or emotional support. It’s very hard seeing someone you love suffer like this and not know how you can help them. I love her deeply and want to do whatever is within my power to help. The most difficult factor is we live in different countries at then moment, so I am physically not there for her. And I’m certain this causes more anxiety than I can imagine. So, hello. I hope to find some support here. Maybe 🙏🏼

Amy April 24th, 2021

@Lintspace Hello and welcome! It can feel stressful to see someone struggling with an Eating Disorder and it definitely affects you as well. I hope you can find support here for sure as it can't be easy, especially when you cannot be there with her physically. It is helpful to educate yourself so definitely a good thing to do. It can feel helpless because you don't know how to help someone. I wonder if you've discussed with your wife how she would like you to support her? Sometimes asking someone what they think could be helpful with recovery and can give you a better understanding of what support she might need from you. With Eating Disorders it can be very individual, every case can be different, but maybe other people in this group have some tips they might think could be helpful to share as well.

Jili April 26th, 2021

@Lintspace

Welcome to the community! Just letting you know I am moving this thread to the Family Member Support Subforum since that's the most relevant space for this discussion!