Skip to main content Skip to bottom nav

Question?

discreetGrapes5790 October 22nd, 2016

Hi everyone,

I'm currently in secondary/ high school and I take psychology as one of my subjects because I really enjoy it. However, there is a part of the syllabus that talks about eating disorders. I find this to be very uncomfortable even though I'm almost fully recovered from my previous eating disorder. It gets to the point when I'm noticeably uncomfortable or flinch or panic whenever someone even mentions the word, and I want to move past that because I don't want anyone to notice I'm uncomfortable and think I'm weird. Does anyone have any advice on what I should do? Im dreading these lessons!

CopperSkies October 22nd, 2016

@discreetGrapes5790

Maybe you could have a quick word with the teacher. I know that this might seem scary at first but I think that it will really help you.

If the teacher knows then they will be able to take it into consideration when talking about the topic and can be more sensitive about it.

I hope this helps :)

discreetGrapes5790 OP October 22nd, 2016

@CopperSkies

Hi, thank you for your reply :) My teacher is also my sports coach and I would really hate for her or anyone at my new school to know. Is there anything else I can do? Xx

CopperSkies October 22nd, 2016

@discreetGrapes5790

I understand why you wouldn't want to tell your teacher. Sometimes things like like that can seem almost impossible.

Alternatively you could speak to another teacher that may be able to give you a pass to leave the class when things get overwhelming. This way your psychology teacher/sports coach wouldn't have to know why you have to leave.