Skip to main content Skip to bottom nav

It's Not That Easy!!

muteTheVoice7196 July 14th, 2015

Everyone says, "Well, why can't you just eat??"

But it's not that simple! I can't eat sometimes, even though I don't want to disappoint people. Family and friends being disappointed in me because I don't eat makes me feel like I'm messed up, like nobody will understand and everyone will write me off as a freak.

lovey0urself July 15th, 2015

THIS.

It's so hard for people who haven't been through it to understand that you can't just decide to eat. If it were that easy, people with eating disorders wouldn't need such extensive therapy from such experienced professionals.

Stay strong loveheart

Anomalia July 15th, 2015

@MuteTheVoice7126 - you are 100% correct. It's absolutely not that easy, and yet people who haven't been there can never really understand why it isn't. I also get frustrated that people often view the eating as the only problem, when it's really a symptom of the actual problem, and as such, even if you do start eating and get to a healthy weight, if you haven't dealt with the WHY of it all, it's not going to get better.

There are a lot of resources out there directed at friends and family of people with eating disorders to help them better understand what's going on - if the people in your life are willing to make an effort, it might help a lot for them to hear these same things from someone that isn't you, to understand that you really are trying and it just isn't that simple.

Take care