Skip to main content Skip to bottom nav

Leaving university due to an ED

Sammie1997 August 31st, 2017

Hey friends, i have anorexia and other mental illnesses and this year i am unable to return for my third year of university. I am really struggling with seeing everyone going back to school and being left behind. My ed is getting worse because i dont know how to deal with all of the emotions.

If anyone has experience with leaving school/know someone who has, due to mental illness i would appreciate any advice you could give me. Also, if anyone just needs to vent about their experiences with university and eating disorders maybe we can support eachother.

JamieSclafaniLMSW August 31st, 2017

@Sammie1997 I'm sorry to hear that you are struggling. ED can be really complicated. Yes it must be hard to watch them all go back and you have to stay but the most important thing is for you to be healthy.

Listenandbekind September 9th, 2017

@Sammie1997 leaving school is difficult but your health is the most important thing and is needed in order to make things work in the long term, my educational journey was far from linear and most people's aren't, so be kind to yourself and know you have made an important healthy decision ❤️

littlePapaya7379 September 1st, 2017

Hey @Sammie1997

i also dropped out of school a few weeks ago when it was the very ast few weeks so wasted 2 years of my education. And it did start getting me down now my friends are telling me theyre going to uni and feel like i have failed cause need to take another year off.

But then i thought everyone is doing their own things and it doesnt matter if i am not going at their pace. Everyones going on theor owns paths . I will focus on myself and where i want to be . And are different routes if not quite up for it.

And is okay to look after yourself and put your health first because its hard to focus and can put more pressure

Erato September 9th, 2017

I'm so sorry to hear that it has gotten to the point of leaving school. But hey, it's completely alright if you want to focus first on your health. Take good care of yourself please.

Sammie1997 OP September 11th, 2017

@Erato thanks for the encouragement