Skip to main content Skip to bottom nav

Resources and help...

tkazzy79 August 11th, 2023

Hi everyone, Hope life is treating you well enough!

It is actually my husband that has the disability. He got onto disability right around when covid hit, kind of lucky now that I think about it. Anyway, he ended up losing his job because of it, he was getting to the point to where he seriously couldn't work at all. It didn't take any effort at all for him to get onto disability because of his heart issues.

I don't work, I have no income to help out at all. I wish I did, I could find work, I've been looking and there's just nothing at all that's biting. There's no work in the area that I live in, finding anything online /remote seems to be impossible with all the scammers out there. It's been really rough lately. I've started on a few projects so will see if something comes from them.

With that said, we are barely making it with his disability chks. He tried to get onto foodstamps last year, yet all he could get out of it was a measily 50$ for some stupid reason. He is going to go and try again. But, it is the food prices that seriously kills us right now. This is the 2nd time we went to the store and didn't have enough funds to pay for the food. /sigh.. so embarrassing...

I'm wondering what kind if help can we get to gain a little bit more financial support? I know that it will probly be impossible for me personally. However, with him being on disability, there's gotta be something out there that will help us out? How do people live on a barely survivable income that disability provides? It's insane how little he gets and barely make it through the month. I wish I couldl help out more, I don't know what to do anymore honestly. I feel so helpless and there's only so much he can do.

We live in Washington, if that helps at all.

Thank you for any advice.

patientSky1754 August 12th, 2023

@tkazzy79

It's tough to get by on a small income. Besides disability benefits, have you checked out any other government assistance programs in your area? You could try reaching out to your local Department of Social and Health Services or checking their website for more info. Also, there's SSI, which is a federal program that gives extra financial support to people with disabilities and low income. It might be worth looking into to see if your husband qualifies for it on top of his disability benefits

blissfulTouch29 August 12th, 2023

@tkazzy79

Hi have you tried social security disability? What kind of disability does your husband have? Have you talked to his primary doctor about this?

I am here for you

tkazzy79 OP August 14th, 2023

Thank you everyone for the responses.

I will certainly have him look into some of these resources. He said that the SSID deal wouldn't be a good thing for him. They told him that it would be a bad idea for him to get into that, so that's a no go. As for the assisted housing, it is a long list and he made one attempt to get into it, although, it became quite complicate in a quick hurry. We are planning to start the rv living by the end of next year.

I will look into some of the other mentioned resources though and see where they lead him.

His disability is diabetes, heart failure, Afib heart issues. He has gone through a few procedures due to his heart, has an afib monitor and it has taken a bit of work to get him to where he is now. Right now he is finally doing much better, this last procedure is sticking and his heart is getting stronger. Now, it is all about getting his physical strength back. He has been through so much in the last few years that he seriously has no strength now. One step at a time...