Skip to main content Skip to bottom nav

Home Owners Association problems since disability

adaptableOcean4193 May 8th, 2023

Has anyone had issues with or have advice for dealing with HOA's after disability? I have lived in my community for 12 years with no issues then suddenly I have received 4 letters from the HOA regarding my yard (dandelions), my trash can I was using in front yard to try to get rid of said salad greens. I suppose I left it unattended for too long, and two now for having my rolling walker outside my front door. I am unable to get it inside and have no one to bring it in and out. My neighbor cuts my yard, too often, truth be told, but the sweetie just does it voluntarily...no complaints from me. I have not worked for nearly two years now and got disability just over 6 months ago. I can pay my house payment and HOA dues, and utilities, but nothing more, including food. I can't pay to poison the yard and have never in the 12 years I have been here. I don't understand the sudden issue. I don't think I have upset anyone, if I did no idea who it would be. This is really stressing me. I just don't know what to do.

AffyAvo May 9th, 2023

@adaptableOcean4193 I don't really know what to suggest, HOAs here just seem like such a different thing. Dandelions may be a bit controversial in my neighbourhood, but there's certainly no policy for needing to get rid of them. Do you know what the policies are? For the rollator, that sounds incredibly excessive and depending on where you are you may have legal protection for a mobility aid.

For the yard, can you get a bit of extra help from an organization? Here in the winter we have snow angels for shoveling sidewalks. I also knew a few people form a church who go around asking if they can help people out. Reaching out to a religious group, neighbourhood organization, or if you have a local buy nothing group (gifts can be time/service, not just items) might help.

If you have outdoor space to share there's also the trade option - someone living without an outdoor area might be interested in having a bit of garden space and would be willing to do your yard work in turn.

I hope the HOA stops sending out notices for minor things!

adaptableOcean4193 OP May 9th, 2023

@AffyAvo

Thank you for your reply. It was just upsetting me earlier because two of those letters came today. It reminded me of how nice I kept things in the past and just can't now. That was probably more upsetting than the actual letters although I do take issue with the rollator. I will ask them to cease and desist on that. If they do not then I will speak someone with more authority. They will probably forget they've ever sent those letters since by the time they send a second one dandelion season will be over until fall, The trash can won't be where they can see it, and they will never get by with the rollator ones. There is no way they would even know if it was sitting there because I was getting ready to walk out the door. They take pictures, But they've just flash as they're going by. It just seems a little extreme to me.

AffyAvo May 9th, 2023

@adaptableOcean4193 Hopefully at least some of it is getting someone to go around and report things with a simple list and not much thought was put behind it. It's still frustrating, but at least less personal - or at least that's how I would take it.

I really hope things get resolved early and you or someone else enjoys a dandelion salad 😊

@AffyAvo

I think you are probably right. I should have waited to calm down before posting. That is part of what I am supposed to be learning in my Mindfulness practices. It has been working well. I just was overwhelmed and did not think of anything other than how am I supposed to please them. I can't do this and I can't do that ...because of my inabilities due to stroke. In other words, I got back to the negative of what I cannot do for myself anymore because of some dumb letters that will probably amount to nothing. I am blessed to be here still, to again be able to walk, talk, throw my hands in the air, err, well lift them slowly anyway... I can crawl on the floor, and type, and a thousand other things. So what if I can't move a trash can or drag a rollator through the door? Thank you for your help!!

AffyAvo May 9th, 2023

@adaptableOcean4193 It's what 7cups is great for! You can vent it out here and think it through. Sometimes that can help prevent some less thought out responses where it's not so ideal (like the HOA). I see no problem with your original post here!

adventurousPal3480 May 9th, 2023

@adaptableOcean4193 I am just want to say that I'm sorry to hear that you're experiencing issues with your HOA after your disability. Here are some suggestions for dealing with this situation: Review your HOA's rules and regulations. Make sure you understand what the HOA's expectations are regarding yard maintenance, trash disposal, and other issues that they have raised with you. Knowing the rules will help you address the issues more effectively. Communicate with the HOA. Reach out to the HOA board or management company to discuss the issues they have raised with you. Explain your situation and your limitations, and ask if there are any accommodations or exceptions that can be made. Be respectful and calm, but also firm in advocating for your needs. Seek legal assistance. If you feel that the HOA is not responding appropriately to your situation or is discriminating against you based on your disability, you may want to seek legal assistance. Consider reaching out to a local disability rights organization or an attorney who specializes in disability law. Seek community support. Talk to your neighbors and see if anyone is willing to help you with yard maintenance or other tasks that the HOA has identified. Consider reaching out to local disability organizations or advocacy groups for support and resources. Stay positive and focus on your well-being. Dealing with conflicts with the HOA can be stressful, so it's important to prioritize your well-being. Practice self-care and seek support from friends and family. Remember that you have the right to live in your home and community, and that there are resources and options available to help you navigate this situation.

@adventurousPal3480

This is seriously helpful advice! You thought of things I would not have! And you remembered to use calm, but firm wording when asking for assistance or accomodation. I am still in the recovery mode from many strokes and aneurysms. I forget it effects my mood so much. Things like this overwhelm me at first. I am starting to get back to myself a little, but the cognitive functions are good here and there. If I am in the least bit tired, they go out the window. Thank you for your very thoughtful and thorough advice!

CheerySandi May 9th, 2023

@adaptableOcean4193

I am not sure how can dandelion be an issue. Can you please explain it?

@CheerySandi

Oh, I certainly would if I could. The wording I read said we must eradicate noxious weeds and remove volunteer saplings. Dandelion is not a noxious weed and someone has reinterpreted the meaning to be anything other than grass. Glad they can't see the back yard from the street. Glorious with dandelion, purple cone flower, butterfly milkweed, wild clematis, clover, catmint, violets... Evidently someone doesn't like nature, unless it is poisoned and manicured. We can't have trees unless they are Bradford Pears either. They are a stinky nuisance as well as an invasive species in my area. Forget about bees and butterflies around here. Don't know how they expect anything to grow.

They are also now taking issue with kids playing on the sidewalks, or driveway basketball...I guess they should be seen and not heard. I do realize after going to the HOA website last night that this issue really isn't personal. Half the board quit their posts and were replaced with stand ins until there is another vote next year. They seem to think their job is to make rules instead of distribute the collected fees to the proper places and make the budget year to year for homeowners to vote on. Argh! More than you asked for, eh? i'm not going to stress it. I just can't.

CheerySandi May 10th, 2023

@adaptableOcean4193

Where do you live? Where is dandelion considered invasive and noxious? In my area (Central Europe) dandelion is considered healthy edible plant which can be eaten in salads and it is very delicious and i never heard that it would be invasive.

adaptableOcean4193 OP May 10th, 2023

@CheerySandi

I am in the US and even though we should know better by now they are insistent on manicured grass lawns. Grass is about good for nothing. We don't eat it. I used to pay good money for dandelion root in capsule form as a diuretic to keep down swelling. I did that because I had no health insurance and could not afford to go to a doctor for high blood pressure. I probably should have just made my own dandelion tea for that.

adaptableOcean4193 OP May 10th, 2023

I wanted to let the people know who were so helpful in calming me over this issue that I did find out it is not personal. Someone on the board is on a power trip. They have now made more rules about being searched at the pool. Including patdowns. They actually cannot do that. Someone doesn't understand that an HOA board does not make rules. Homeowners make rules. The HOA distributes money and signs contracts with people to do the work for the community areas.