Skip to main content Skip to bottom nav

Work and disability

Neeme2020 January 24th, 2021

Hi everyone. I have a question. Has anyone here worked or is still working while on disability ? How are you managing ? With limited income from Ssdi , it’s challenging to pay the bills thus giving me no choice but to have to work . I have bad days , and have called in so many times . I am unable to call in anymore . I fear losing my job and also every call in means a deduction in pay .

AffyAvo January 25th, 2021

@Neeme2020 I haven't been able to get disability benefits yet (and SSDI doesn't exist here) but I have been working and would continue to do so if I get approved for the DTC and RDSP. It's almost all from home, with limited hours and flexibility one when I actually work (by days, although I do sometimes get rush requests, there are backups if I cannot manage them). Income doesn't affect the ability to qualify for the benefits I am trying to access, it would affect some others though, although with the amount I make in many cases it would just be a reduced level, not a cut off.

Neeme2020 OP January 25th, 2021

In some States , disability payment is reduced( as form of payback ) if one makes more than the substantial amount Also if one receives Ssdi than every six years the person is evaluated whether he or she deserves Ssdi or not. The amount of Ssdi monthly payment is determined and on the persons job history. If he or she worked in a field where income was high than he or she gets high monthly payment. However if one worked in restaurants or petty jobs one gets Ssdi under 800 dollars a month ! How can one survive with that amount monthly ? So one has to work to manage bills .. it is tough when health hinders me or work more hours .. it is sad that some on limited Ssdi income are still made to struggle in turn worsening their health that got them Thr Ssdi in the first place