Skip to main content Skip to bottom nav

How many more diagnoses?

Meghlyn25 November 17th, 2014

January 2012 I had a pretty severe snowboarding accident. I managed to make it though my final semester at college and graduate. Little did I know, I would be home a month and spending more time at the doctors than I have my whole life.

After the accident, I had severe migraines to the point of throwing up, light & sound sensitive, etc. Anything and everything that one experiencing I had to some degree.

So I was home a month or so and went to the doctor for a number of concerns. 1. Migraines. 2. zero energy. 3. not sleeping. 4. not eating/bingeing (no inbetween). MRI was ordered and so was blood work. Before I could get the MRI done my blood work came back.

I was positive for Epsteins Bar (chronic Mono), Chronic Fatigue Syndrome. Extremely low vitamin D & B-12. Among a few other things.

Then came the MRI (just so everyone knows, I am extremely claustrophobic plus having a migraine on a regular basis the noise would feel as if it were killing me - in my head). Round 1 - couldn't finish. Had to come out early and get the doctor to prescribe me meds so I could be relaxed during it. Round 2 - complete. Doctor called me a day later and told me I had Chiari 1 Malformation and to go see a neurologist for further treatment.

Trying to keep count. I'm at 5. I've been on over 5 different medicines to try to get some relief but nothing has really helped. On top of this new stuff I also have TMJ, no cartiliage in my knees or wrists. Sprained my ankles more times that I remember. Ankle surgery for shredded tendons and ligaments.

I am also gluten free, sulfate free, alergic to latex and anything that isn't hypoalergic. My eye sight is slowly getting worse (due to Chiari-maybe). I now have chronic muscle spasms that the doctors have no idea as to why.

Icing on the cake - I am diagnosed with PTSD, Generalized Anxiety (Social-mild), OCD (tendancys), depression, Seasonal affect disorder (linked to PTSD)...

Honestly I can't remember everything, my ability to generate memory/recall memories has been deteriorating since the snowboard accident.

Just last week got blood work done - possible a thyroid problem now. among my vitamin levels low and everything else flairing up.

I'm 25. and just want to live!

karen38 November 17th, 2014

@Meghlyn25you have been through more than any 25 year old should have to. It sounds like everyday you face new challenges, yet you find the strength to make it through. While you may not be feeling it, I believe you have great strength and determination. Please connect with one or more of our many listeners so you can get the support you need and deserve.