Skip to main content Skip to bottom nav

I'm new to online help

Sisyphusonatreadmill October 4th, 2023

I'm only 20, but have felt quite lost since an alarmingly early age. I remember doing a "what do you want to be when you grow up" when i was about 8 or 9 and asking my grandfather to answer it for me because i didn't know.

Not much has changed since then except my age and im more aware of how out of sync i am with society.

I have no friends, I'm unemployed and haven't been able to pass an interview. My family keep hounding me to start driving even though its something i never want to do and never have wanted to do.

It all sort of feeds the depression and loneliness and i have no idea or no motivation to do anything that use to help.

I don't even know what im on here for.

HealingTalk October 5th, 2023

@Sisyphusonatreadmill

Hi!

You seem a very intelligent and learned person.

I see from your username that you refer to the Myth of Sisyphus, who was in a kind of meaningless "treadmill" situation carrying those stones to the top of the mountain to let them fall, and then starting over again in a never-ending meaningless effort.

From that myth, Albert Camus wrote his book, which is a reflection on what he perceived as the challenge of meaninglessness in the human condition.

So maybe the issue of meaning in life, of a "what for" is important to you.

Here in 7 Cups you have the opportunity of telling your problems and get support, and also do the very meaningful and rewarding task of helping and supporting others.

Maybe in your life, you might also search for a cause you deem worthy and work or volunteer for that cause.

I googled this list right now, as an example:

https://www.dosomething.org/us/articles/community-service-project-ideas

Maybe you need to find something that is meaningful, like alleviating in some way the suffering of others.

You can do a lot of that here in 7 Cups, in many ways, starting right now, browsing other people's posts and offering your comforting words.

That would be a great reason for you to come here.

Let's stay in touch!

I wish you all the best!

Marcelo.

bestVase7265 October 6th, 2023

Most of us don't know what we are here for on most days. That is actually okay because what you are here for changes on a regular basis. Worry less about the destination.

But it does sound like depression is hitting you really hard. Have you talked to your parents about that in general? That is probably the best place to start - a doctor's appointment or a therapist.

Do they see the driver's license as the first step to a job or something like that? Are you able to use public transportation at all? @Sisyphusonatreadmill