Skip to main content Skip to bottom nav

Be productive - have a purpose, help others

amicableWater4529 May 24th, 2023

A lot of people come to the depression support room saying they have no purpose or they're not worthy. Well if that's the case - why not be the opposite? Productive - life purpose to help oneself to the right place and help others.

This ties into altruism - egoistic -> optimistic. Once you help yourself enough - taking care to put oneself together (as value is based on what's around a person in addition to oneself) to increase one's worth -> be able to be whole (from helping oneself enough) to be able to help others. Once someone maxes out of taking care of themself enough that they don't need help - then they can go beyond oneself to help out the world - where the real help is needed.

For me - as long as I provide more than I take - then that's how I'm worth living.

What's stopping everyone from achieving that (where they get annoyed, etc. from hearing it or 'can't' or don't want to (like it's too hard)?

ASkylar May 24th, 2023

I agree but how do I take care of myself and become whole? Where do I get the strength from to do it by myself? You ask what's stopping people... I can't speak for everyone but what is stopping me personally are fears, doubts, insecurities. It is very hard, too hard for some.

toughTiger6481 May 25th, 2023

@ASkylar

It is different for everyone ...... and some face those fears and doubts ........even when they feel crippling.

It is not to make you feel less then........... but hopefully to inspire you .....

people all have insecurities .... they can make themselves sick over it ......... but they find THEIR reason to March -On .......

bestVase7265 May 25th, 2023

For some people at certain moments that really is too hard and too much to ask. They already feel so guilty about the depression and it increases their guilt level and then they react.

I tend to work just from kindness at those moments. Each person is different and reacts and heals differently as well.

That is what is frustrating about depression - there is no one size fits all approach. @amicableWater4529

AffyAvo May 25th, 2023

What do you mean by not needing help? I have moments where I do not, but I cannot go too long without help.

The balance between what we take vs what we give - that's pretty complex too. I prefer to think of giving from what I can rather than keeping a score of give vs. take.

KaidenHale October 23rd, 2023

That whole scorecard thing is wrong. Most, if not all, of us are going to need help throughout our lives. Be it from a therapist, counselor, or a friend to pull us back from the brink and help us see the light.

I personally have PTSD, Severe/extreme depression, and severe anxiety. I know I will always at some point need someone to talk me down.

Once I heal and learn to control my triggers, I absolutely want to be productive and help others. I would love nothing more than to turn around and help others like me. Others who don’t have anyone to talk to and can’t afford therapy. I could at least be their glimmer, their light in the darkness.

stillprocessing99 October 23rd, 2023

There was a healthier season in my life that I would have really resonated with this. It's like, I get where you're coming from. For a lot of people, it's about giving out and finding joy in the serving.

That's still true. Really it is. But the problem is, I'm not in that state of heart to give the energy and mental motivation for more than a few minutes at a time. I can't commit to a new job or a long term commitment because I don't know if I'll be able to handle making my own dinner tonight.

There's a lot of fear with that because I knew what it was like to be so willing to give and full of fulfillment from giving.

And I can analyze this, truly I can, and see that giving out might help me feel better.

It's the getting there, and worse still, the staying there. I can psych myself up into starting something, but without a lot of support and grace and the ability to go home if I want to, that's going to feel like too much.

I see the tragedy in that because I love to give.

unassumingCar1350 October 24th, 2023

This is why I see a therapist to help with my depression so I don't feel helpless a d hopeless and I take my medication as prescribed! A new beginning each day is a fresh start and a positive mindset, even those who can't afford a therapist can use this app which adds value to my life as well