Skip to main content Skip to bottom nav

Is "empty" a feeling?

LethalUnicorn October 28th, 2015

Because that's what I feel. I feel like I have no feelings. I suppose I don't feel sad... which I suppose is good, but honestly I think I may prefer sadness over this void. So, is "nothing" a feeling, and regardless - how do you get rid of it?

braveSugar7964 October 28th, 2015

I'm feeling much the same. It's as if I pass my days on autopilot. Nothing seems to penetrate my mind or my heart these days..

CharmingKat05 October 29th, 2015

Yes, I do believe empty can be a feeling-- or a lack of feeling.

I did feel this way too, but I soon figured out the emotion I was feeling was loneliness. Everyone is lonely, let's face it. I cured my problem by talking to people on 7 Cups, meeting new people, doing more activities outside of my house, taking up new hobbies, getting more sleep, and going back to hobbies that I had abandoned. Maybe this won't help you, but that's what helped me.

Feeling this way might also be a stage of depression, even though you don't feel "sad" depression is the root of the problem. There's a self-help guide here on 7 Cups, for depression, try checking it out. Click on me if you need to talk to someone!

braveSugar7964 October 29th, 2015

Thank you, Kat. yes

cristiana33 November 1st, 2015

From personal experience and what I've seen at members I've listened to, I can say that empty is usually how you think you feel when you are overwhelmed with too many mixed feelings you are incapable to define anymore.

You let yourself in a numb state of mind thinking you don't feel anything, when in fact you feel too much.

But somehow empty is felt differently by everyone...

gracefulSong70 November 6th, 2015

@LethalUnicorn , I can tell you I feel much the same , it is just when you feel a lot of sadness and sorrow at some point you become to not realize your state , you become feeling " Empty" as If all sadness is just like a normal feeling you face since you coped with it , I can tell that this "Empty" feeling does exist.

braveSugar7964 November 7th, 2015

That makes total sense, actually. I have the weight of the world on my shoulders these days.. I can't change the situations, so I guess it's a way of switching off.