Skip to main content Skip to bottom nav

How does this even happen?

honestTortoise7644 January 16th, 2018

Sometimes, I have good days. And sometimes, good days become good weeks. I can't go anywhere without smiling, I'm so hopeful that my attitude is starting to turn around and I'm confident that I have enough good memories and good things to look forward to so I'm mentally armed for my next bad day. Honestly nothing in particular triggers it, but if I'm left alone to think for long enough, my mind always goes to a dark place and nothing in my life sounds exciting anymore. How can a perfectly good day flip a switch in my head for no reason at all? I don't feel lonely when I'm alone (usually). Sometimes I prefer it. But inevitably my mind runs in circles when I'm alone and I end up feeling like a sad log. Advice?

gene2017 January 17th, 2018

@honestTortoise7644 This happens to me all the time - every day, multiple times per day. If my mind is not otherwise occupied a negative memory, traumatic or not, will come to mind. No matter what I am thinking about my thoughts seem to go negative and I end up loathing myself. I haven't been able to stop but I'm hoping my therapist can help.

articfox January 26th, 2018

@honestTortoise7644 Mindfulness mediation has helped me, so when I have those thoughts I am able to let go and let them pass. Still have tougher days, but it can get better. Hoping you find a solution that works for you.

versatileCup2589 January 26th, 2018

I wish I knew how to help but I