Skip to main content Skip to bottom nav

Depression/Suicide Ideation medication questions?

Thadessa January 26th, 2018

I have not been diagnosed with depression, but for several months now I have been feeling suicidal. Suicidal in the sense that I don't want to actually hurt myself, bc I am the kind of person that cant handle pain...I tried to cut myself and I immediately put the blade down bc I couldnt puncture myself, which I am grateful for that experience bc I was able to see the type of suicide ideation I have. I still have thoughts of death, more so in that I wish I would not wake up, or car addicents, that sort of suicide ideation. Alongside that, I feel that I am showing signs of depression insomnia, a few other things.

So my question is, has anyone ever taken medication to help their mental illness, has it worked, good or bad, what was the medication for, thoughts, etc. ?

turquoiseMelon3285 January 26th, 2018

Hi @Thadessa

i have been taking 50mg of sertraline for depression for a little over a year. I started on 100mg but reduced to 50mg after 10 months & I feel this suits me better. The only side effects I had - mainly severe insomnia and (less of a problem for me) loss of libido - lasted about 2 weeks but then resolved.

Meds can be very helpful but work best if you're also doing the personal work to resolve any underlying issues. The best thing to do is speak to your doctor about how you're feeling & be honest. Ask to be referred for talking therapy/counselling (if you aren't already doing this) & go back to the doctor after a week or two if there's no improvements to ask for meds.

Booklover95 January 26th, 2018

@Thadessa

Hey there. Is ok to rely in medication if you truly need it. Go to a doctor appointment , talk about this so he can prescribe it to you.

BUT remember, medication alone doesn't fix everything. Medication is supposed to give you a balance to your brain. But that alone isn't enough. Try to exercise everyday (even if it's just 15/20 mins walking) because while exercising the body releases endomorphins, which is the happy hormone in our bodies. Try to eat healthy aswell, helps alot. Try to be very vocal about how you feel and this said when you go to your doctor, besides asking for meds, ask to send you to a professional of mental health. That way you can activily work on your depression and possible triggers.

best of luck! :)

Booklover95 January 26th, 2018

@Thadessa

Also I forgot to say that the way anti-depressives work deppends from person to person. But overal they're ok. If it's the right one the only thing will do initially is make you really sleep. You'll want to sleep alot and not be able to do much. So my advice is taking them at night!

You also might experience a secondary effect of hunger.

After the first 15 days the symptoms start to ease up. But to be sure , if you do take them, check the secondary effects just in case.

Overal they're ok like I said , but like I mentioned in my first comment don't rely purely on meds. Meds are needed sometimes but won't fix everything.

Good luck