Skip to main content Skip to bottom nav

Bad days

Cinny100 February 11th, 2016

So we all know that, unfortunately, sometimes there's going to be bad mental health days. More specifically, sometimes depression can really test you and everyone has their ways that helps them get through it. So when you're having a day when depression is weighing you down (like sadly, I am experiencing right now), what are your favorite things to do to that helps you get to brighter days?

ladylazarus1971 February 11th, 2016

Hi @Cinny100. I am very sorry you have been feeling depressed. It is a horrible, burdensome feeling. My generally useful method could work for you if you like animals. Even when I am spiraling down, down, down, and feel overwhelmingly depressed, if I can make myself focus my energy and love on my pets, I often start to feel better. It can be hard to get focused and energized enough to start, but once I start taking care of their needs and making them happy, I sometimes start feeling better too.

It has always been much easier for me to take care of others before myself; very especially my animal companions. So, when I can't care a whole lot about myself, to them is where all my available love and care goes. And the great thing is that the attention and love they send back to me assists bit by bit in helping me back out of the hole I feel as if I am stuck in.

I don't know if this post has been helpful-- for all I know, you would rather eat 100 rotten bananas than pet a cat or play tennis ball fetch with a dog! But, maybe the same sort of method might work with caring for other people, if that's more your style.

No matter what, please know that the 7 Cups community is here for you 24/7. We care about how you're feeling. All you have to do is reach out-- we'll be here, reaching right back!

Celaeno February 11th, 2016

For me what works is to be gently with myself. I recognize that I'm in pain and have such a low energy levels it's unfair to expect from myself a productive day. I'm focusing mostly on the self-care, like on:

• not wearing pajamas or suit pants - spending my day in a normal clothes makes a huuge difference;

• drinking enough water or juices or tea or anything,

• eating nutritious meals, but easy to make. If I'm lucky and have some money I would order myself a pizza;

• doing 3 activities per day which I like (or which gave me a pleasure in the past), e.g. reading books or comic books which are easier. If I really don't fell up to it, I'd watch a movie or TV show. Playing a video game is quite nice, because it gives you a sense of achievement. Or creating something, like origami or painting your nails. Or solving a crossword. Listening to the music is a must for me, e.g. from the musicals. Doesn't matter what I choose, everything counts;

• reaching out and telling someone that I have a hard time - it can be a phone or a message to friends or family, but recently my first choice is our wonderful community ^^ Reading forum threads or the feed or chatting with a listener is great way to remind myself that I have support and that I am not alone in my struggle.

It matters to just face the day. Anything which we are doing to endure our depression is worth the time and energy. Our efforts are enough. We are enough ❤️

@Cinny100, I'm proud of you that decided to start this thread. It was a great idea and I cannot wait to read more replies! I hope you will soon feel better. All my love!

*hugs*