Skip to main content Skip to bottom nav

how to cope with cognitive problems caused by depression

cthorne3150 May 15th, 2023

I am a grad student in the humanities. I don't know what exactly triggered my depression, but I'm experiencing a lot of cognitive problems like memory issues, lack of concentration, inability to be intellectually engaged, etc. I just feel like a totally different person, and I just can't tackle academic tasks like I used to. It's like my brain has stopped working somehow, and everything i write is not up to par. It's really interfering with my academic life at this point and none of my professors know about it. I'm really scared that I'll end up failing classes.

Does anyone else have similar experiences?

Paviix May 15th, 2023

Meditation

CDK1972 May 15th, 2023

@cthorne3150. Yes I can relate it happened to me a long time ago in college. Let me share my experience. I have been dealing with depression for over 20 years. My last battle was about 5 months ago and it hit me pretty hard so I decided to see a psychologist for the first time in about 7 years. It helped me a lot. He discussed how anxiety and depression actually work and he also suggested for me to read 2 books. The 10 Best Ever Anxiety Management Techniques and Feeling Good. They discuss not only coping skills but talk about how the brain works in regards to anxiety and depression. I really liked the books and I am still reading them. I am not a huge fitness guy but for the last 3 months or so I take a walk in my hilly neighborhood and I also jog a little bit to get my heart rate up. This helps me tremendously. I usually do it on my lunch break because I work close to home. I am also on an anti depressant which is 20 mg of Lexapro and when I go through my anxiety/depression episodes I will take Klonopin. There is hope and you will be ok. Trust me.