Skip to main content Skip to bottom nav

Worried about a friend

FranklyMaple December 23rd, 2017

A friend that I consider very close to me has severe depression. He is pretty much constantly suicidal. His parents don't care that he feels this way and claims he'll get over it. I've tried to tell him that he can go to a therapist by himself since he's almost 18, but he refuses. I've asked him what I can do to help, but he says there is nothing for me to do.

Then, the other day, a popular singer committed suicide. A friend that knew him released a statement that said "I could help him sometimes, but I was just delaying the inevitable."

That really struck me to my core. What if I'm just delaying the inevitable? How am I supposed to stop him? If he dies, then what am I going to do? I have depressive episodes myself and I'm not sure I could take it.

Any advice would be appreciated. I just want him to live. Thank you.

Brooke91 December 24th, 2017

@FranklyMaple

Tell him how much you care about him and let him know how much it hurts you to see him hurting. Urge him to talk to a professional.

Karasuno07 December 24th, 2017

@FranklyMaple well you can just let him know that you care about him :')

can you take him to a therapist yourself?

FranklyMaple OP December 24th, 2017

@Karasuno07

No I can't, we live far away from each other. I tell him that I care about him but he doesn't seem to care...

CantStepOut December 27th, 2017

@FranklyMaple

You probably have an idea as to why he may be depressed. Does he ever travel? Getting out and about will usually help, if not only to make you appreciate what you have at home when you get home.

He needs someone to get him out and get a fresh perspective. He is WAY too young to be feeling like he is.

CantStepOut December 28th, 2017

@FranklyMaple

Also, one thing that I turned to at that age was music. There has to be music, bands, something that he likes.