Skip to main content Skip to bottom nav

What to do when your boyfriend doesn't understand depression?

Sorceress November 21st, 2014

Hi Ilove my boyfriend (at least I think I do) but he's soo terrible in emotional stuff especially when it comes to depression but I desperately feel I need emotional support right now and he's my only close family living under the same roof. I tried to explain him, I made a compilation of online stuff accurate for me for him to read but I fear he has forgotten about most of it and he is still so oblivious about most of the illness. (He has said stuff like emotional fluctuation is worse than being depressed although it's actually a sign of getting better when one feels good too!)

I feel so stuck with the problem... It's almost impossible for me to talk about my problems it usually ends up in a fight because the stupid stuff he says really irritates me and there it goes.

Annie01 November 21st, 2014

Well, that's rough to hear. But not everyone is as understanding as someone else. Everyone's different and deals with stuff in another way. If I were you, I'd try and explain in my own words what it's like and how it feels. And if I still wouldn't feel like I could talk to him and get support, I'd try someone else to get support from. Cause you do need support and depression is a very serious thing. Hoped this helped, a bit. And you can always connect to me or any other listener! - Love, Annie

Kane November 21st, 2014

Have you ever heard of the spoon theory?

It can be used to describe chronic pain and other invisible illnesses such as depression, and I've heard that it sometimes helps people understand what it is like. Of course, it isn't something that is guaranteed to work, but it is an alternative way of explaining it.