Skip to main content Skip to bottom nav

Time goes by slowly but runs the next second

miillktea April 24th, 2022

Hi!
I've been a bit stuck thinking today. I guess that's the weekend effect when you don't have anything planned.
After cleaning the house and watching a movie, I've run out of things to keep me occupied with today, which made me think it should be evening already, but it isn't. Instead there are still quite a few hours in the day. It's one of those days that feel like they go on and on.
So I've been thinking about how a lot of times I feel like time won't pass by, but thinking back to the past few years, I feel like they barely happened. Even the past few month, since the new year, have me surprised. It shouldn't be nearly may already.

I kind of often find myself in this weird thing in-between. My days go by incredibly slowly (if I don't have something to do) but my month and years pass by as fast as lightning. And all that's left is me sitting on the couch wondering what I even did in that time.

In theory I know that I spend january studying, february working on a presentation and march and april pulling myself out of my depressive episode that started in december (and am still continuing to do so), but it doesn't feel like I actually used time for that.

Time is a pretty hard concept for me to grasp and I was wondering if any of you have been through it as well? Especially the feeling that in one moment time is running so fast you're afraid life passes by without you noticing and in the next moment having so much time you don't know how to fill it.
How do you handle that? Because I've been overthinking it for the past hour and have yet to find an answer to it.

I hope your sunday won't feel as blue as mine!
Remember to rest and take it easy before the new week starts.

snowylovegood April 24th, 2022

@miillktea I think that what you are experiencing is incredibly common, especially as COVID has thrown a wrench in everything (aren't we all tired of hearing that phrase by now). But for me at least the past few years feel almost fake. You are not alone in this, many people experience time-anxiety. Personally I have found that trying to forgive myself and accept that sometimes I just won't do things on the weekends because I need the slow down helps, rather than beating myself up about it which can make things worse. Is that kind of what you mean?

miillktea OP April 24th, 2022

Yes, I think it's definitely mostly that. COVID made time definitely more of a blurr.

It's just a pretty weird feeling for me to constantly go between those two extremes of "where has the time gone" to "why is time moving so slowly". I barely have the feeling of time just running normally.

juliak1968 April 24th, 2022

@miillktea

Hello,

When I get manic one second can feel like several minutes. I remember sitting around so borded one day that I started writing to stay busy and I wrote "The never ending present is future's rise" it was a slightly optimistic way of looking at finding a way out of that time warp. But years fly by in the blink of an eye. Sending strength and a hug

Blessings, Day

miillktea OP April 24th, 2022

Thank you for sharing!

It's always calming to know that someone else has experienced things you go through yourself.

Thanks a lot.