Skip to main content Skip to bottom nav

Starting an IOP. What to expect?

survivorstarr May 14th, 2023

I was in an inpatient hospital for suicide attempt/MDD/GAD and now I am starting an IOP. I have heard it's similar to inpatient, but I was just curious what a typical program is like.

purplelady568 May 15th, 2023

@survivorstarr Hey there survivor - it sounds like you truly ARE a survivor! I'm so glad you've made it through your inpatient program! I think that every agency deals with intensive outpatient programs slightly differently, and that they usually tailor it to meet the patient's needs. Many times, they work around the patient's preferred schedule. Sometimes they require a certain number of hours per day or per week. Hopefully they will explain all the details clearly to you.

So unfortunately, because it is an individualized kind of thing, I can't tell you exactly what to expect. However, I am so glad that you are taking this step, and I hope this new program works out well for you.

Take care, and be well :)

-Purple

MikeCheck88 May 16th, 2023

I know it’s different everywhere but I too have been suggested by my Psychiatrist and Therapist to consider IOP but like many on hear I have unreasonable concerns about the unknown that’s keeping me out of it and getting the help I likely need. Any type of insight or experiences that could be shared would be greatly appreciated. For me even having a little idea of what to expect brings a lot of relief.

@survivorstarr I hope you don’t take this as me hijacking your thread, in fact I’m glad you posted it! I’m also happy to hear you’re with us and made it through inpatient care. I obviously have the same questions as you it seems.