Skip to main content Skip to bottom nav

Slipping into old patterns

loyalBeing54 January 16th, 2015

Hello everyone, I have been battling depression and anxiety most of my life. My upbringing was (to put it politely) rough and I remember being extremely depressed as a child. I have gone to counseling off and on for the past 7 years and I have been doing a lot better until the last year. Needless to say life happened and a bunch of stressful events have come crashing down on me. I can't really talk to my family and friends because they either don't understand what I'm going through or they think I should just "let it go." But letting major hurt go has been a problem for me. I just want to get back on track were I didn't over think everything and I had some semblance of self esteem. If anyone has any thoughts/feelings/advice or just kind words to help me put it would be greatly appreciated. Talk to you soon.

peachTiger58 January 16th, 2015

I also suffer from depression and anxiety and I have been "well" for about 18 months but I was weaned off my anti depressants 2 months ago and since then my old habits have been very hard to resist x

braveNectarine3932 2 days ago

hello, even though this thread is 10 years old, I sure can relate and appreciate the thoughts and feelings expressed in the thread. 

So, I had a rough childhood. From the womb to the age 7, I received programs which I’m not aware of, but that’s who made me who I am. Nevertheless, I’m trying to rewrite the childhood depression programs and it’s very challenging to change my personality. How I think, how I act, and how I feel. I’ve noticed patterns approximately every 7 years I’d pack up and move. Stress, anxiety, and depression has been a constant all my life. I remember as a child that I was not good enough for friends or valued compared to others in relationships. Why is that? I run away from family, jobs, and myself when anxiety attacks, but it’s all in my mind. My subconscious is snapshots of past memories. I can be at this moment which is inevitable. Still don’t understand my response or actions dealing with depression anxiety. I’ve had therapy sessions and of-course I have to provide the answers for the situation. Anyway, the answers are either misery or pleasant which do I choose. I guess in conclusion, is my choice