Skip to main content Skip to bottom nav

One of the worst things about depression (For me)

TheDreamer17 December 6th, 2020

One of the worst things about having clinical depression diagnosed as a teen (For me) is that you hate it so, so much. You hate the pain, the lack of energy and motivation, how it makes you feel. You hate that it's stolen years from you. And I want to heal, I do. I want to take the medication, and I do. But I'm terrified of who I am without my depression. It's become a part of me. Who will I be? I'm a pessimistic person. I use dark humor to express myself. Will I still have that? Ironically, my depression has become a comfort blanket for my insecurities caused by my depression. I try to romanticize happier moments through writing and art. I talk about good moments, I tell jokes. But I can't live my life like this. I'm afraid, though.

Gale1032 December 8th, 2020

@TheDreamer17

No worries, it's not an either/or thing. You may always ongoing issues for depression.
But you will find more and more ways to deal in a healthy way with it. And then you won't feel as afraid.

By the way, you are a great writer, I bet writing is a good outlet for you. Thanks for sharing. 💙

luxx454 December 7th, 2020

@TheDreamer17 honestly that does sound complicated. it's like a love hate relationship with your depression in that you have known it for so long but also can't keep living with it forever. There's no simple answer as you probably know, but I do believe you can learn to live with it better? Of course I am not you and do not know this for sure, but everything is a possibility. If it helps, please feel free to reach out to listeners here to talk more about what you are going through as that has helped me:)

TheDreamer17 OP December 7th, 2020

@luxx454 Yeah, lol it's not fun, but I mean life can't be great, that's now how it works. It's really great finding a community that can relate to me, and it's great being able to reach out to listeners!