Skip to main content Skip to bottom nav

Moodswings

depressedCupcake99 June 12th, 2020

I've recently started journaling to keep track of how I'm feeling. And I've noticed that I have a tendency for violent mood-swings within a couple of hours. For example, today I was feeling okay (okay, not good) until around noon. In the afternoon, I was in a good mood, to a point that I would almost call hyper: laughing for close to no reason, a ton of energy, and working on creative projects. I even did a light work out. Then, in the evening while I was getting ready to go to sleep, my mood changed again. all the usual insecurities and hopelessness came back up and I kind of spiralled from there.

It got me thinking, and a bit worried. I've noticed these kind of moodswings before, but I'm not sure to which degree they're normal. Of course a person experiences numerous emotions throughout the day, but I don't think I should be going from hyped to depressed like that without any real reason.

Have you experienced anything like this? Any advice on how to cope?

perpetualfear June 13th, 2020

@depressedCupcake99

Surprisingly it is pretty normal for depression. Not necessarily anger but sudden hard moodswings in general. Back when I was around 12 and first diagnosed I tried attacking a guy for mistreating a girl. I didn't catch him but that's not important. The fact is there are many ways depression can react. Anger, sorrow, anxiety, joy. It's a lock that just clicks at times. I learned to try to see the good in everyone and just let my anger go. In a way, rationalize their behavior. I still get frustrated but it's almost never anger. More often I have bouts of sorrow now since I tend to not fight for myself. My point is it's okay. Everyone goes through it. There are ways to change it. Not always medical. But there are always answers so hold confidence!