Skip to main content Skip to bottom nav

MTHFR Defect a cause of depression

faithfulTriangle3777 September 26th, 2015

Anyone here have their MTHFR gene analyzed? Studies show a very high percentage of depressed people have a defect with this gene. There is a cheap test you can take to verify and the medication (a supplement with methyl form of folate and b12) to remedy the problem isn't that expensive. I had mine tested and I have one mutation and started supplementing. I have noticed significant improvements in mood but I need to wait another month or so to be sure it's not just the placebo effect.

Folks, this is cheap and easy and you may see improvements by supplementing if you have a defect of this gene so I encourage people to at least look in to it.

Best of luck to all.

Celaeno February 15th, 2016

I never heard of this test and genes defect, thanks for posting about it. Do you have maybe some scientific articles on this subject proving the causation, and not only the correlation? I'm interested to read and learn more about it ^^

Can I ask how are you feeling this month? Did the change of therapy made for you a difference? Take the best care of yourself and all the best, lovely!

miya211 February 19th, 2016

wow, that's interesting @faithfultriangle3777 thank you for sharing! i'm going to look into this topic further.

@celaeno the first thing i found is from psychology today: https://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/the-integrationist/201409/genetic-mutation-can-affect-mental-physical-health if you google a bit there will be more information about it.

miya211 February 29th, 2016

@faithfulTriangle3777 can you share your experience with us? i would really like to know if you are doing better.

thank you!