Skip to main content Skip to bottom nav

I want to cry but I can

MeowingCacti September 5th, 2020

So I'm pretty frustrated. No matter how upset I am, I just can't cry. I cry when I'm frustrated but never when I'm sad. It just doesn't work. For example, I watched a show called Banana Fish. If anyone has seen it you know how horrible the ending is. When I was done with it, I was an emotional wreck, which was fine with me because I typically don't feel any emotion for some reason. In fact it was quite refreshing to feel hurt like that. But I just couldn't cry. It was like I was crying internally but externally it wouldn't happen. It's not fair. I think a possible cause for why I can't cry is my childhood. Because I have ADHD I also used to have really bad emotional disregulation. I cried everyday over the smallest things. That of corse led to bullying but I think the worst part was how people tried to help me. Basically I was rewarded with two stickers a day if I didn't cry. So as a child, crying always meant bad. Could this be why I can't cry? If it is, is there a way I can cry again? I'm really frustrated by it.

sensitiveSea2500 September 5th, 2020

Crying is a emotional feeling that comes from the soul. You have to really have a connection to what made you feel the need to cry. Dont feel bad about not crying. One time I went to a friends funeral but they were not like a close friend to me just someone I went to high school with and another friend who was close with them invited me to go with her and i only with for my friend who invited me because I didnt feel that close to the person who died. I felt bad I didnt cry at the funeral and I felt bad about it after because everyone else was crying but me. I know I had a good heart and knew I felt bad in my head but tears wouldnt come out but when my dog died I was a reck I was depressed for 6 months. Do you see what I mean? I think you just have to have a deep connection with something but your not alone its okay but please dont beat yourself over this there is much more to life.

@MeowingCacti