Skip to main content Skip to bottom nav

Intimacy Question

Confused197 November 11th, 2016

Does depression impact someone's want or desire to be or have any intimacy with their spouse?

Histerikal November 11th, 2016

@Confused197

I can totally relate to this. My girlfriend also struggles because I have a huge interest in being alone and have close to none interest in being near each other. Depression makes me feel like I'm in an untouchable bubble and trapped there but it has NOTHING to do with my feelings for her.

Cheers and lots of love,

Erik

Confused197 OP November 11th, 2016

@Histerikal thanks man that sounds rough. how does she handle it? has it created anxiety and or insecurities for her?

Histerikal November 11th, 2016

@Confused197

Sure she is afraid to lose me and pissed when I don't want anybody near me. We are planning to visit my therapist together. Because understanding the problem is the key to accept that it has absolutly nothing to do with your loved ones. There are also good advices on the Internet on how to deal with a depressed partner.

Talk open and freely to your loved ones. They will understand.

SimplyBaroque November 11th, 2016

@Confused197 It definitely can! Not specifically because of intimacy, but because when you're depressed, sometimes it can feel like you have expend a LOT of energy to do ANYTHING. It's not necessarily because you've fallen out of love with them, or are disinterested in intimacy, but because it takes so much effort.

@SimplyBaroque thank you for the reply. my wife seems to be battling depression and has no Interest in me. I'm lucky to get a hug

SimplyBaroque November 11th, 2016

@Confused197 I'm so sorry to hear that :( Intimacy is an important part of any marriage, so I can understand how you might feel confused or upset. I think the best thing you can do now is support her at a level she is comfortable with, and once she improves, she'll probably be open to intimacy again. Just understand that it's not your fault - depression can be a nasty enemy to battle :(

@SimplyBaroque fyi like your user name! Yeah for the last few months I have been taking it quite personal like what did I do or what is wrong with me even though people have been telling me it's not me, as the spouse it's hard not to think that. they switched her from Zoloft to Prozac yesterday so hopefully that will help. you are correct this is a wicked thing. I continue to try to be patient and supportive as that is what I signed for when I said I do. it's just a real struggle everyday not having that closeness with the person you love most! the insights here have helped to know a better perspective of what my wife is dealing with so I can better help her