Skip to main content Skip to bottom nav

How to stay motivated during depression to keep going

doritoast September 27th, 2022

(TW: mentioning of suicide)

Hii you,

Thank you so much for clicking on this, I'm so happy you did.

Let's not wait any longer and cut to the chase:

When scrolling through Quora, there was a post that was recommended, and it really made me feel better and gave me that little push I needed when I felt like giving up.

Here's the post.

Here's the content of the post if you can't view it:

"This morning three crows landed squarely on my chest and built a nest out of the fraying threads of my skin.

They wrapped their thick talons around my ribs like bars on a cage and refused to let go, no matter how deep my breaths were.

Please. No. Not today.

I considered throwing myself out the window just to watch the birds fly, and to see if I’d fly too.

All the while my brain is building bridges.

I’ve never been before but there’s a bridge somewhere nowhere with big, brown rusted slats where you can dangle your feet or tie off a rope and no one would be the wiser.

I trace my name in the rusting dust with my big toe as a little something to remember me by.

I erase it.

I look down and in my head I can never see the bottom, but I know it’s a river, with rocks and water and I can’t swim.

I jump.

And my heart stops, beginning again only to the rhythmic pecking of beaks snapping at my collarbone.

Depression is often accompanied by anxiety, a truly paralyzing combination.

Depression makes me unable. Anxiety makes me frantic.

Together, they make me frantic about things I’m unable to do.

My only motivation is the simple fact that I can’t stop doing things. I want to. I want to stop.

But I can’t stop.

People need me. They’re expecting me, there, doing that, what I’ve told them I’ll do.

I can’t not.

I drop the ball, often and with no less shame each time it happens.

But the world keeps turning, and babies keep dying and people keep fucking and I keep walking because that’s just what we do.

We keep on.

I don’t know if that’s advice or just a statement of how I exist.

You stay motivated by remembering that no matter how shitty you feel, no matter how pointless living is and no matter how much you’ve fucked up—

Someone, somewhere, is waiting for you.

It doesn’t matter who, so don’t worry about disappointing them. Maybe it’s you. Maybe it’s not.

Doesn’t matter.

You just have to keep showing up. Keep existing, even when nobody is watching.

That’s what motivates me when I’m depressed—the knowledge the world is counting on me to try. Not to succeed, not to do a good job.

To try.

I might want to throw myself out a window or jump off a bridge but that can wait so long as you just need me to try.

So keep trying.

That’s all the world needs from you.

This is my desktop background:

main-qimg-f24b5ed703641f66d280685f9912385d-pjlq"

- end of post -

post made by Jordan Yates on Quora

Depression and other mood disorders, or any mental health condition to be fair, are really hard... I'm so sorry if you suffer from depression or other mental health condions :( No one deserves to got through a hell like that

Please don't ever lose hope, things can look and be very dark at some times, and sometimes we just want it all to stop. But please don't give up, it can get better, so many people who have recovered from depression are proof of that.

This post helps me to feel better, I hope it can help you guys too

I'm glad you're still here

PS: please don't hesitate to reach out when you want to talk, it can help so much, you deserve to feel better (even if you feel like you don't!! you already deserve it for just being here, for just trying) <3

Sunisshiningandsoareyou September 27th, 2022

@doritoast

Aww crying and how! Beautiful message, Dori, thankyou for sharing with the community, in the hope that someone may be looking for this silver lining, just another signal to keep trying and keep going on. I appreciate your thoughtfulness lots.❤

Sometimes yes, we need someone to tell us to keep trying, some sort of "showing up" is needed, a sense of purpose driving our will to continue trying, if not for us in that instant then atleast for the people that believe in us, and *want* us to try, maybe us trying is a signal of hope for them to keep trying also, mhm? I find it quite beautiful, a world that shares hope and compassion and most importantly, the power of trying. It is indeed magic. All we need to try for sometimes is breathe through the current moment, and let it pass, and then repeat, till breathing becomes more natural, normal, stable. One moment at a time.❤

Sending love and strength to everyone coming across.❤

Also sharing this another amazing post Here (clickable), where another person has opened up in an effort to provide comfort to those that come across.❤