Skip to main content Skip to bottom nav

How do you deal with emptiness/ feeling nothing?

sofiagrace August 16th, 2015

i feel completely empty right now. I can't feel anything, can't even cry. Food doesn't taste like anything so I have to force myself to eat even though I'm not hungry. I'm not sure i want to start feeling again right now, but wondering how other people deal with it. What is your experience like in general? How do you find motivation to do things that HAVE to be done? What is it like when you start to feel again? Do you think other people are aware of what's going on?

QuietSkies6767 August 16th, 2015

I totally understand you you feel like your soul has seeped out. During these times I try to isolate myself and simple reflect for maybe even 30. minute or you can try entertaining your self with your favorite comedy show for me I interest really helps because it is filled with inspirational stuff check it out if you haven't. I hope this help get better my friend! :)

AshleyDixieland August 16th, 2015

I know that feeling. I feel numb half the time during the day it seems. Have you considered breathing exercises? There are some that help me sort of ground myself. Stand with your feet shoulder width apart, toes slightly inward, knees bent. Count to 5 breathing in. Hold for 5 release for 7 counts. Relax your arms and focus on the feeling of your weight on your knees and feet. This is also good for calming if you have panic attacks sometimes. I hope this helps you.

Brokendoll31 August 16th, 2015

I feel like that everyday I have no motivation to do anything I just want to sleep. Luckily I have a friend who always gets me up. Just getting out of the house keeps your mind off things. I also started writing in a journal. I write about anything song lyrics, quotes, how I'm feeling it helps. I also like to read it keeps my mind busy

shauni95 August 16th, 2015

I've learned that the best thing to do when I have no motivation to do anything is to just force myself to do it anyways. Like I sometimes won't have motivation to get out of bed but once I actually get up I feel a little better. And like if I just feel horrible sometimes I'll make myself go around friends because I know it will help me even if I don't want to.

energeticSpring4866 August 17th, 2015

Im that way.I have no motivation and i dont have appropriate reactions or emotions for many situations. Im totally bored with life because all of a sudden i just stopped feeling happy or any other deep sensations. Whats the point, is something i wonder a lot.

sofiagrace OP August 17th, 2015

I worry a lot about how other people perceive me/what's going on with me. I have to interact with people whether I want to or not. I'm a grad student and I don't want any of my peers to know I'm having such a difficult time. It's very competitive in the kind of way where showing weakness is a bad thing. It's funny though, I don't want them to know, but I also don't really care about school or anything else anymore. I don't think they would understand even if I told them. They would just say I should take a break from school, but I just want to be done with it.

I've had depression since I was a little kid, but it got a lot worse when I started my program. I don't have any friends here and I'm thousands of miles away from my family, school is unbelievably stressful and because I'm depressed I can't even remember why it was I wanted to be here, and last week my s.o. left me because he couldn't take it anymore. I think my body has just shut down...

sofiagrace OP August 17th, 2015

But also, I have an appointment with a psych later this week, because my meds are doing nothing. I'm afraid of what will happen if I take something new and start to feel again. How would I even know they were working if everything in my life just sucks?