Skip to main content Skip to bottom nav

Eating habits

Alaska0617 September 10th, 2015

I don't know if this is relevant to my depression. But for the past few weeks, whenever I eat something, or think about eating, I get/feel sick. Like I physically get sick to my stomach sometimes just at the thought of eating something, no matter what it is. I know my mother is getting worried; I have had problems with not always eating in the past. I can't help it though. I just feel sick! Juice doesn't help either, nor milk. I know that I've been more and more stressed lately with everything going on in my life but I don't know if that's it.. I'm just not sure anymore. All I know is that it's not good for me and I'm hungry but can't bring myself to eat now because I know how it will end, with me either sick to my stomach or feeling feverish and nausaus.

autumnfrost September 10th, 2015

Our brains and our guts are actually connected - the same chemicals (neurotransmitters) are found in both. Also anxiety and mood problems can cause the body to respond in physical ways - either not being able to eat or eating too much. Depression pretty much messes with your whole body sometimes! Your body is so focused on conserving energy to deal with things that it's neglecting the food situation. In the long term, this is definitely not helpful, especially since your brain needs nourishment to keep fighting. Have you tried experimenting with certain 'bland' foods - dry toast, oatmeal, crackers, broth? Even a little bit can go a long way in getting your body used to eating again. I hope things get easier for you soon.

Brokendoll31 September 10th, 2015

The same thing happened to me. I've been depressed for a few months now. And I never felt like eating I wouldn't feeling hungry and when i would eat something it would make me feel nauseous. I actual lost 6 pounds because of that. So now I'm trying to get better and get healthy again. I try to eat something light but eat more frequently. But I think your appetite will return again when you start to feel better