Skip to main content Skip to bottom nav

Discussing your depression with family/friends

Pezcore May 11th, 2016

How do those who are aware of it respond? I've really struggled with a number of simple things lately and have become much less of a phone person due to it. A couple people have found my method of communicating (text only) an inconvenience to them which has been both hurtful and disrespectful. Most seem to understand though, so that has made it easier when needing a boost but there's just a lot of work I need to do to get through this. Just wondering how others here are affected by their support system or what do you have for a support system.

scarletLyricist May 11th, 2016

@Pezcore Hello! I'm sorry you are feeling this way about your friend's misunderstanding in what you need.

Personally, I built my support network on people that are willing to help me, regardless of the conditions. But as hard as it can be sometimes, you also have to be flexible and open to someone else's suggestions for you. Maybe find someone you really trust and ask them if they're willing to videochat with you or call you on the phone and give it a try. It is a bit different than text, but sometimes the immediate face-to-face or vocal interaction is very useful in my opinion.

As for me, my social network consists of my therapist (outside of school), my counselor (in-school), my favorite teacher (also suffers from some of the same illnesses as I), my parents (not my first to turn to, although) and some of the coolest friends that I could ask for. That way, I have support all around me and multiple sources to turn to if I ever need the assistance.

I hope I helped with this. If you have any more questions, please reply again! I am so willing to help you anytime! *hugs*