Skip to main content Skip to bottom nav

Dealing with depression as a college student

courageousNectarine1602 October 27th, 2022

Hi. I’m a second year college student, my grades have been declining over the past few months due to my severe depression. I often feel worthless and emotionally drained, so it’s very difficult for me to study. I’m writing my finals in a few days lol, and I’m going to fail, because I only know half of my syllabus. Anyway, It’s sad to think that I was once an A student. I can’t decipher my emotions, I don’t know what’s happening in my brain. My mood can go from angry to sad to happy in minutes, I’m scared that I might be dealing with a more serious mental illness. I’m not happy with the life I’m living, I often daydream about what life could’ve been like if it was just how I wanted it to be. This is a big problem for me because when I finally make a friend, I tell them that made up version of my life and not the real thing. I don’t know why I do this, anyone experiencing something similar?

anxietywarrior23 October 27th, 2022

@courageousNectarine1602

sorry you are struggling with depression and your grades are suffering. I am sure you can find a friend and be yourself.

courageousNectarine1602 OP October 28th, 2022

Thank you ❤️

bestVase7265 October 28th, 2022

I have not experienced something similar recently, but I am a college professor who works with first year students and I can tell you that it happens ALL the time.

Let me give you some of the advice that I give them - be sure that you are eating and drinking water regularly, get outside as much as you can for study breaks, be kind to yourself - brain fog from depression is serious business, and find someone to talk to - your college has a counseling center probably - USE IT! NOW! Such feelings only get worse if you try to repress them.

You will find tons of other people in your shoes. You aren't alone.@courageousNectarine1602

courageousNectarine1602 OP October 28th, 2022

Thank you so much for the advice, I am definitely going to reach out before it’s too late.

bestVase7265 October 29th, 2022

It is never too late to reach out. It is only that you are in pain that you don't deserve to be in. @courageousNectarine1602