Skip to main content Skip to bottom nav

Am I really depressed?

Castiel78 March 23rd, 2019

I tell myself I have depression, but some voice in my head says that Im lying. Some voice tells me that Im a fraud, Im making it up, and that Im just manipulating others and myself. I dont really know how le to explain it. Its like I dont think Im telling the truth about how Im feeling. And it just makes me feel worse. Its kind of like the voice is saying are you really depressed? Or are you just trying to be ‘edgy and ‘emo I dont know.

Mikaylataro March 23rd, 2019

@Castiel78 hi, I get this too. It sucks because I already feel terrible and then a feel guilty and feel worse. I think it is because so many people have way worse lives and also all the rumours that depression is for attention started to make me believe it.

juha March 28th, 2019

@Castiel78 Hello, Castiel! I understand your feelings in this case. Oftentimes it can be difficult to put our emotions into words or categories. When we don't quite understand what we are feeling we can end up questioning it at all, wondering if we are simply making up our feelings. Really, there is a reason that the saying that a person's worst enemy is themself. It can be difficult to put things in perspective when we really have nothing to compare it to. It's okay to feel confused, questioning, uncertain, or angry. It's okay to feel fustrated with ourselves for not being able to understand our own emotions. Sometimes the only thing that we can do is try to find a way to put things into perspecive, like talking to a friend or a therapist, as scary or upsetting that may seem. It's okay not to understand yourself; we are all complex, confusing, deep, strange human beings, each with a mind of their own.