Skip to main content Skip to bottom nav

8 Year Struggling Depression Survivor

toughClementine48 November 15th, 2014

Hi, I have struggled with depression for about 8 years now. It goes in cycles; I become depressed, it gets really bad, I go on meds & do therapy along thing other self help, until i stabilize. When Iget better and feel I'm in a good place, I stop the meds. After a few months things start happening in my life and it sends me back down again. I'm tired of these cycle but I don't want to depend on meds for the rest of my life. I am depressed again due to lots of stress & overwhelming things happening in my life. Any advice or anyone who can relate?

Thanksheart

BlueRose92 November 16th, 2014

I was there once, I know what it's like. I fought depression, I struggled with anxiety, it's nothing you can't get over. Keep fighting my friend!

whyme11 November 16th, 2014

@toughclementine, I know exactly how you feel. I have only been struggling with major depression for about 4 months though. I also dont want to be stuck on meds for the rest of my life. I am not a doctor so I cant recommend tou do as I am, but I have read that there are some alternatives you might be able to try that may help you out. I have been reading some books that I believe have helped me out. I have been reading one lately, and if you have read where I told about this book elsewhere on here I apologize, called Deadly Emotions by Don Colbert M.D.. I have found good info from this book , as far as, his experience with patients in his practice. He tells of natural things he has used and other types of things like meditating and changing thoughts, kind of like they do with cbt therapy. Also something that has helped, that my therapist taught me, was her telling me when im feeling triggered by something was to use my 5 senses and see what is going on in my immediate surroundings. Like in her office she asked me what was going on at the time. I said I hear water trickling, she had a little waterfall thing in there. Then she asked what else , she had a lot of pictures all around and I saw one that had a lab on it and I told hrr it looked like my dog. We talked about that for a few minutes and I forgot what I was feeling bad about. She let me smell a lavender scented candle and said maybe I could have some kind of a scent handy when I had a negative thought to try and change what I was thinking about. I hope this helped you out some. Hang in there and keep thinking good thoughts. We will both get through this. Dont ever give up.

Windsor November 16th, 2014

It sounds like you are going through a constant battle with depression. Letting the affects of life throw you into turmoil and further depleting your drive to continue. I know how that feels, and I have been there before. I think you are doing what is best for yourself when you say that you are going through therapy and on medications to help you. I believe everyone has this strong person inside of them able to overcome any major obstacle inside of us and outside in the world. In order to access that part of ourselves takes enormous amounts of hope. I have overcome and found my strong side by coming here to 7 Cups and being a compassionate ear for others. It allows me to see that I am part of a community and that relieves much of my stress that causes depression. Keep hanging on. We are here for you.

CuddleCat November 16th, 2014

@toughClementine48I have had depressive feelings since age 12, and Im 28 now. I understand. I have times when I'm really happy, and times when I am supposed to have recovered, but I have relapsed to feeling suicidal. Please know you are never alone, and never ever stop reaching out for support. <3 We are strong together <3

toughClementine48 OP November 17th, 2014

thank you everyone for your feedback, stories and thoughts ... i really appreciate it