Skip to main content Skip to bottom nav

Nightshift

Sallyne September 9th

So I have a nightshift today and it makes me feel really down because it’s a really isolated job, plus 12 hours make me cranky as well. I have my mobile with me and my laptop but sometimes it’s really hard to stay awake….i usually just need people to talk to make me feel better but there’s literally almost nobody. Im an ambivert but 12 hours is too much. I’m just glad that I only work 3 days max a week or else I wouldn’t be able to cope :(

WhiteAura9 September 10th

@Sallyne

I hear you, and I can imagine how tough it must be to face such long and isolated night shifts. Working 12 hours, especially during the night, can be incredibly draining and challenging. It’s completely understandable that you feel down, as being alone for extended periods can make the job feel even more isolating. 

Feeling cranky and fatigued is a natural response to such demanding work hours, and it's hard when the only thing keeping you company is your mobile and laptop. The isolation can make it even harder to stay awake and engaged, and it’s completely okay to feel overwhelmed by this.

I want you to know that your feelings are valid and that it's okay to struggle with these aspects of your job. You’re managing a lot on your own, and it’s perfectly normal to need support and connection during these shifts. 

Take care.

WhiteAura9 September 10th

@Sallyne

If you’re open to it, here are some gentle suggestions that might help:

1. Engage in interactive content: Consider exploring interactive content such as audiobooks or podcasts that require active listening. Engaging stories or topics can help keep your mind occupied and alert.

2. Use sleep management techniques: Before your shift, make sure to get as much rest as possible. Implementing a consistent sleep routine on your off days can help you feel more refreshed during your night shifts.

3. Set up a virtual support system: If possible, arrange to have scheduled check-ins with friends or family via text or video calls at times when you feel most isolated. Even brief interactions can provide a boost.

4. Utilize online communities: Join forums or social media groups that focus on topics of interest to you. Engaging in discussions or reading posts can provide a sense of connection and distract you from the isolation.

5. Incorporate mindfulness breaks: Practice quick mindfulness exercises, such as guided breathing or short meditations, during breaks. These can help alleviate stress and improve focus.

6. Rotate activities: Alternate between tasks to break up the monotony. Having a variety of activities to switch between can help maintain your engagement and reduce feelings of boredom.

7. Create a comforting environment: Make your work environment as comfortable as possible. Small touches like having a favorite drink or a cozy blanket can make the shift more bearable.

8. Implement a reward system: Set small goals throughout your shift and reward yourself when you achieve them. This can provide motivation and a sense of accomplishment.

9. Plan enjoyable activities for your time off: Having something to look forward to on your days off can help you cope better during your shifts. Plan activities that bring you joy and relaxation.

I hope these suggestions offer some practical support and make your night shifts a bit more manageable. Remember, you’re doing your best in a challenging situation, and taking care of yourself as best as you can is important.

Take care.