Skip to main content Skip to bottom nav

Getting back to work

Trosclair03 September 23rd, 2023

I’ve been off of work for medical leave and on FMLA , I had a really bad mental break several weeks ago and my doctor sent me to an iop program and I’m starting week 7 of 8 on Monday. Has anyone had any experience being off of work for anything like this with depression and anxiety and then having to go back? I’m having anxiety about it and I still don’t feel 100% ready. My workplace itself is toxic , my coworkers are horrible. The anxiety and overwhelming dread is starting to consume my thoughts the closer it’s approaching.

toughTiger6481 September 24th, 2023

@Trosclair03

You were on an approved leave ... you do not owe any explanation to co-workers on why or what you are dealing with... toxic people can be very nosy.

your anxiety is completely understandable and it is hard for many to resume work after a leave at first, just ease into it and plan on general statement if asked about leave ... " thanks for your concern i am feeling much better now" Some if they Knew might understand more then you expect though.

If workplace is toxic maybe this event will be a reason to decide if you want to search other options for employment .

Trosclair03 OP September 24th, 2023

Thank you for your understanding words and encouragement. You are exactly right , they definitely don’t have any right to any kind of explanation and are truly nosy. That’s the reason for so much of the anxiety , the nosy people and toxicity of the management even. As you stated finding employment elsewhere might be a good option. I appreciate your reply. Thank you.

bestVase7265 September 25th, 2023

I can understand why you are nervous. Take it a step at a time. Are you immediately back full time or do you get a chance to ease into things?

Have you been working on any techniques with anyone to make working with your coworkers a little easier - things to distract you, places to go at work for a short break, things to do at night to put you in a different headspace?

Sending lots of strength and peace in the coming days. @Trosclair03

Trosclair03 OP September 26th, 2023

yes it would be straight back into full time , to go back in as a part time position I would loose my benefits and pay would decrease.

I’ve been working with group therapy and a counselor learning coping skills and resources. I do meditate at night. After speaking with my counselor today he is going to let me know Thursday if he and the rest of the group therapist decide to extend my medical leave out for the rest of my fmla. Thank you so much for your kind words.

bestVase7265 September 27th, 2023

It sounds like you are figuring things out. There are ways to be proactive in going back into a work situation that you don't feel comfortable in. The more techniques that you have the more control that you will feel you have (as hopefully you start to look for a better job).

We are here to cheer you on. @Trosclair03

Trosclair03 OP September 27th, 2023

I appreciate the advice very much. I will definitely use the skills I have been learning when I re Enter my work place, it’s going to take all of them. I am looking hard for another job as well. Thanks for the support.

bestVase7265 September 28th, 2023

One of those techniques is to come here often. Those voices of work nasty people are ones that we can help you see are just plain wrong. You can do this. @Trosclair03

Trosclair03 OP September 28th, 2023

I appreciate that , and I will be back often. I find myself visiting the community daily and it feels safe , inviting and supportive!

bestVase7265 September 28th, 2023

It is very supportive. @Trosclair03

bestVase7265 October 1st, 2023

How have things been lately? @Trosclair03

Trosclair03 OP October 3rd, 2023

I have 4 sessions left of iop , and they just changed my medication again. Nothing has been helping with the depression. They put me on a new med that was approved in 2022 call Auvelity! The side effects are really rough , almost tranquilizing for me. If they put me back to work and don’t extend my fmla im afraid I will have to come off of this med and not get to the good part. How have you been ?

bestVase7265 October 3rd, 2023

So sorry about the medication. It can be so hard to find the right combination. It took me lots of patience (about a year or two) to find something that worked. For me, I just needed extra small doses because my body reacted to things so strongly. The challenge is that you have to be on them a while to see if they will be effective. But you can find something. I hope that it will be sooner for you rather than later.

I am doing okay right now. @Trosclair03

Trosclair03 OP October 3rd, 2023

Yes it definitely is a challenge with medication. I am glad that you were able to find something that worked for you and figured out how to make it work. Thank you for the kind words. I am glad to hear that you are doing ok.

bestVase7265 October 4th, 2023

I hope that today went a bit smoother for you. Sending lots of peace and strength.

Trosclair03 OP October 4th, 2023

Thank you , I switched the meds to night time and I am better able to function during the day. How have you been ? Hope you are doing well.

bestVase7265 October 5th, 2023

That sounds awesome! Sometimes little tweaks can get you where you need to go.

I am doing fine. I went to a memorial dinner tonight that was a bit sad, but grieving together for someone can be helpful. @Trosclair03

Trosclair03 OP October 5th, 2023

Memorial dinners can definitely be sad and yes helpful and needed. Sending good thoughts and wishes your way.