Skip to main content Skip to bottom nav

Self Forgiveness

Reeseyreese September 25th, 2016

I recently went through a psychotic break during which I was extremely manic. During that time, I said and did awful things to the people I love and people I didn't know.

I have apologized and everyone understands; however, I'm still harboring negative towards myself for things I did when I was not in control of myself.

The inability to forgive myself has caused be anxiety in the past and is causing me anxiety currently. I'm starting to remember the things I did and under normal circumstances, they would be unforgivable,

lindsayscheinermanLPC September 25th, 2016

@Reeseyreese

Hi. Thanks for sharing with us :) The word unforgivable is only being used by you it seems. The people you apologized too seemed to have forgiven. We need to figure out how to give yourself permission to accept that.

Based on what you said it shows your very caring and concerned for others. The fact that you are taking care of YOU are the actions that prove apologies meaningful.

We can't change the past. What you do have control over is today. People have bad days and that's okay too. The most important thing is to keep maintaining and trying to move forward :)

Want more personalized guidance? Check out my profile
Reeseyreese OP September 25th, 2016

@LScheinLPC Thank you! I tend to forget that I'm human and will do things I'm not of and need to ask for forgiveness. It's just I want to be "good". I want to be a good person.

My mind keeps focusing on "I can't believe I said that. That was so mean". It's a ruminating thought I'm finding difficult to let go of because it's true. And it's making me want to over apologize.

lindsayscheinermanLPC September 26th, 2016

@Reeseyreese

yes you are human :) we all make mistakes. Give yourself credit for stepping forward to make changes and take care of you :)

Want more personalized guidance? Check out my profile