Skip to main content Skip to bottom nav

Mom thinks I'm a brat for complains about Luna vaccuming near me

Disneywoman July 28th

My  sister (Luna) is visiting us for four days.   Tonight Luna vacuumed the dinning room after supper and then she started working on the stairs.  And no body gave a *bacon* and thought about poor little me (ASD)  and gives me a heads up about her vaccuming near me on the *bacon* stairs.   And I called downstairs on the intercom Mom told me to "use my headphones"- the headphones do jack nothing when there's is too much noise near me.   And when I was mid-way of saying "This is why i wanted nosie-cancelling head-" Mom hung up on me.      And right after that the the vaccuming noise is 10x louder then it had been when I originally started on the phone.   And I know headphones do jack nothing its why for the last 10-15 years I couldn't concreate period, when Dad's doing noisy things outside.

And Luna's going to be in here at any freaking moment and its going to be 100x louder that I will be not be able to do a single *bacon* thing in here because Luna's vacuum is just that much nosier then the "new" vacuum which is less noisy then the original vacuum my parents had.

I mean come on either a) give me a heads  up that vacuuming (or some other noisy task) going to be done or b)not be a cheap and buy me noise cancelling headphones when someone's doing something noisy. 

Mel August 6th

@Disneywoman Thank you for sharing this with us! It sounds like you're feeling overwhelmed and frustrated, and that's completely understandable. It's clear that the noise is really affecting your ability to focus and feel comfortable, and it must be incredibly challenging to deal with these disruptions, especially when it seems like your needs aren’t being acknowledged. Feeling unheard and unsupported in these situations can be really tough.

Could you share more about how you usually cope with these kinds of disruptions? Are there any strategies or tools that have worked for you in the past? I appreciate you opening up about this, and I want you to know that we're here for you. Your feelings and needs are valid, and it's important that you get the support you deserve.

Disneywoman OP August 6th

@Mel

Because I'm on ASD Spectrum,  I get really annoyed/over whelmed when loud noises happen when I'm not ready for them.   My parents know this for years and yet they can't give me a warning when Dad's going to be doing something noisy outside or the other day when Luna was (what I thought was vacuming but she was steaming but either way that it causes me to have a bit of overload of senses.

I have no tactic to deal with the noise because I can't pay attention  on trying to listen to anything because of the noise of X drowns out anything I'm trying to listen too.  

Dad and Mom are trying to be better at indoor things that might be loud for me. Like with the new vacuum cleaner its lesser noises then the old one but they try to give me a head's up if they're going to be using the vacuum cleaner with in my vicinity 

I just wish that they could behave like like that all the time in regards to noisy things.  Folks at my church who do tech stuff for our plays or the guy who plays the organ- that they do a better job of always informing me that they're doing something noisy when I go in there to do my volunteer job during the year