Community /

Autism Support

Create a New Thread
Gif Photo Link
Autism Automated Taglist!
by tommy
Last post
August 16th
...See more Welcome to the Autism Taglist This thread is an auto-updating list. The list is regularly updated by forum leaders and can be found below. Having issues? Reply below and someone will help you! Why should I join the taglist? ✔ Never miss out on sub-community check-ins, discussions or events ✔ Get tagged and notified by community leaders whenever a new relevant thread has been posted ✔ Become a more active member of the community. What do I need to do? ✅ To add yourself to this taglist, press the Post to Thread button below and write the exact words Please add me. ❌ To remove yourself from this taglist, press the Post to Thread button below and write the exact words Please remove me. ------------------------- Current taglist as of 29 Dec (updated by tommy) @Alwayshungry983 @AutiBoy @azuladragon34 @beck1 @courteousCoconut2519 @Fozziewozzie @GwydionRowan @HarmonyBlossom @HatsEatYou @Howegeorgia @Jenna @JovianPlutonian @JustMeUwU @llemonz @LoveMyMoonflowers @NeurospicyGirl @NightOwl2003 @pineapple7722 @Plantsaremybestfriends @RainbowRosie @sentientape @silentbuster26 @SillyBlue32 @SleepyShyCat @smolLITTLEpotato @softParadise5949 @Stasia86 @StressedGirl @SunnyCat0 @teenytinyturtle @theboymoana @tommy @Trosclair03 @Twigo7 @unassumingPeach6421 @Vivikun9 @wishfulWillow6962 @Zahrian2112
5 Things You Shouldn’t Say to Someone on the Autism Spectrum
by Jenna
Last post
May 14th
...See more Although the general public has become more aware of autism, there’s still a long way to go. The autistic community has commonly been told some phrases that we frankly don’t want to hear. These comments can be ignorant and hurtful, even with good intentions. Here are five things you shouldn’t say to someone on the autism spectrum. 1) “You can’t possibly be autistic” Why would you flat-out deny something I know I am? It’s not up to you to decide who is autistic! We often get this comment when others hear that we have a relationship, a job, a child, or an educational qualification. They become skeptical and say, “But you’re doing so well. You can’t possibly be autistic!” Unusually, we also get this from those who are very familiar with autism. A parent might say, “You’re not autistic! You’re nothing like my autistic child who can’t do anything independently.” The truth is that everyone with autism is different and a diagnosis is not destiny. We consider it prejudiced to assume that autistic people are all lost causes who can’t possibly succeed in life. We can be capable of so much if we have an open mind. 2) “You must be good at math” Not this misconception again! We get it, you’ve heard too many negative things about autism and you want to compliment us instead. But again, we’re all different. People on the autism spectrum have just as much variety as those outside it. This includes our abilities, which don’t always match the media stereotype. Some of us are great at math and some of us are terrible. Some of us are natural with computers and some of us are technologically illiterate. Some of us are savants and some of us struggle intellectually. Just like you, there’s no single profile of our mental abilities. Putting some abilities on a pedestal can exclude autistic people who lack those abilities and make them feel inferior. 3) “You don’t look autistic. You seem so normal” What does this even mean? How does someone look autistic? How does someone look normal? We’re physically no different from the rest of you. There’s no way for someone to look autistic at all. This comment is even worse if this is supposed to be a compliment. It suggests that seeming “autistic” is inferior and seeming “normal” is an ideal standard. We’re just different from you and we don’t want to be forced to be someone we’re not. 4) “What’s it like to be autistic?” What a strange and generic question. I might as well ask you, “What’s it like to be not autistic?” We don’t even know where to begin to answer this. Being autistic is everything we know. It’s in every single experience we have from day to day. Also, there’s no unified autistic life experience. Every autistic person has their own unique life, with experiences different from the others. Are there any experiences that are universally shared between all of us? Sure. We all get asked these silly questions. 5) “Everyone’s on the autism spectrum” No, they’re not. Trust me. Those who make this comment are suggesting that everyone understands and shares our struggles to some degree. Is this supposed to make us feel better? Well, it doesn’t work, because it’s a totally false suggestion. Others don’t know what it’s like to be autistic and never will. As funny as it is to say, only autistic people are autistic. This comment isn’t reassuring, it’s totally dismissive of our unique struggles and experiences. Have you heard any of the comments mentioned in the article? References Brown, L. (2012, February 27). 15 Things You Should Never Say To An Autistic. AWN. https://awnnetwork.org/15-things-you-should-never-say-to-an-autistic/ Hirschberg, E. (2017, December 13). What To Say & What Not To Say To Someone With Autism. Research Autism. https://researchautism.org/what-to-say-what-not-to-say-to-someone-with-autism/ [https://researchautism.org/what-to-say-what-not-to-say-to-someone-with-autism/] Stout, A. (2016, July 6). 11 Things Not to Say to Someone with Autism. The Autism Site. https://blog.theautismsite.greatergood.com/dont-say-autism/ [https://blog.theautismsite.greatergood.com/dont-say-autism/] credit [x [https://psych2go.net/5-things-you-shouldnt-say-to-someone-on-the-autism-spectrum/]]
World Autism Awareness Day: Moving from Surviving to Thriving!
by SoulfullyAButterfly
Last post
April 3rd
...See more Hi everyone, Today, April 2nd, is World Autism Awareness Day! This year's theme, "Moving from Surviving to Thriving: Autistic Individuals share regional perspectives," is all about creating a world where autistic people can not just cope, but flourish. The UN's World Autism Awareness Day event will feature autistic panelists from all over the globe. You can find more information and the livestream link here: UN World Autism Awareness Day [https://www.un.org/en/observances/autism-day]  Tips for Thriving: ✨ Self-advocacy: Learning to communicate your needs and preferences is crucial. There are many resources available to help you develop your self-advocacy skills. ✨ Find your community: Connecting with other autistic people can be a source of support and understanding. The 7 Cups Autism Community is growing every day - subscribe by clicking join this community here [https://www.7cups.com/forum/autism/]. ✨ Explore your interests: Autistic people often have many passions and dedication to focus. Explore your interests and find ways to make them a part of your life. ✨ Seek professional help: If you are struggling, don't hesitate to seek professional help. Therapists and counselors can provide valuable support and guidance. Here are some questions to explore: 🌻 What are some of the biggest barriers you face as an autistic person in your community? 🌻 What kind of support has helped you the most on your journey? 🌻 What are you passionate about? How can you use your unique skills to make a difference? Looking forward to hearing from all of you!
Mom thinks I'm a brat for complains about Luna vaccuming near me
by Disneywoman
Last post
August 6th
...See more My  sister (Luna) is visiting us for four days.   Tonight Luna vacuumed the dinning room after supper and then she started working on the stairs.  And no body gave a *bacon* and thought about poor little me (ASD)  and gives me a heads up about her vaccuming near me on the *bacon* stairs.   And I called downstairs on the intercom Mom told me to "use my headphones"- the headphones do jack nothing when there's is too much noise near me.   And when I was mid-way of saying "This is why i wanted nosie-cancelling head-" Mom hung up on me.      And right after that the the vaccuming noise is 10x louder then it had been when I originally started on the phone.   And I know headphones do jack nothing its why for the last 10-15 years I couldn't concreate period, when Dad's doing noisy things outside. And Luna's going to be in here at any freaking moment and its going to be 100x louder that I will be not be able to do a single *bacon* thing in here because Luna's vacuum is just that much nosier then the "new" vacuum which is less noisy then the original vacuum my parents had. I mean come on either a) give me a heads  up that vacuuming (or some other noisy task) going to be done or b)not be a cheap and buy me noise cancelling headphones when someone's doing something noisy. 
Latios + Word "apologise" WITH "s", NOT "z". AND...
by AshleyGamer1995
Last post
August 1st
...See more ...That one person on DA called AzuLatios is horrible, too - he will not say ANYTHING to me just because of his avatar of Latios which I like otherwise. And again... PLEASE spell "apologise" WITH "s" NOT "z", FOR Latios himself, please. I'm not getting what I wanted...
...I am so ANGRY right now. -_-'
by AshleyGamer1995
Last post
July 23rd
...See more Because...7 Cups just said the "G" word in my notifications list, mentioning about "G Play" which I did NOT expect. What is "G"? It's the search engine company that EVERYONE knows. I'd rather not mention their name fully because it's INSULTING to me. Yes, EVERYTHING about G is annoying to me, from their logo, sounding and being used for practically ANYTHING in life which ALSO angers me and steals away my enjoyment in things and stuff. It is a LOT to explain why I hate them and ALWAYS have hated them for ALL years of my life, I know, but... If you folks reply to me about them, PLEASE don't type in their name fully; either just use the FIRST letter here (G) or have their name censored. Otherwise, one use of their word in full and I will NOT reply or say ANY more here, since there is NO way to erase even MY threads like this for no reason, or edit them. >:/ I am sorry, but unlike MOST people in the world, I DO have this hatred to them, because they are antagonistic to me, mentally-speaking, as well as them being CLEVER on EVERYTHING they conflict with. And yes, I KNOW that THEIR logo is also shown in 7 Cups's logon screen and below these threads, as the common "Get it on G Play" label, but FOR ME, I would NOT choose to LOOK at those, and instead have my hand blocking them out (I put my hand in front of the computer screen, that is). But still, I ALWAYS wished they did NOT exist in this horrible world...but they DO, unfortunately, no matter where I go and what I do. T_T* Honestly, what gave THEM the RIGHT to live in this world AND be WELL-RECOGNISED by EVERYONE?!?!?! WHY are they NEVER-QUITTING?!?!?! WHY must they DAMAGE the "OTHER" things that I "DO" like OTHERWISE?!?!?! Ridiculous!!! > = ( Of course... I NEVER get to be called "famous" (another word I hate seeing and hearing AND it getting USED FOR THINGS I ADMIRE, too) by ANYONE in my life WHATSOEVER, because I DON'T DESERVE IT and that I'M a STUPID IDIOT as well. Yeah, well, go ahead and say uncomfortable things to me like "grow up" or "you're not valid" or "they are a great company and you must respect that", et cetra cetra, but those AREN'T going to help with my mental health at ALL. I just WANTED to let out my feelings here about what I hate ("G" themselves) and what I don't get (being referred to as renowned). Again it is a LOT to explain as a WHOLE story I've been GOING through in my ENTIRE life, but... WHY SHOULD I EXPLAIN IT ALL AGAIN WHEN I ALREADY HAVE DONE ON ANOTHER SITE, LIKE THE "National Autistic Society" ONE THAT FAILS TO UNDERSTAND ME AND MY MENTAL ISSUES, BUT SIMPLY DAMAGE ME WITH INSULTS AND MISUNDERSTANDING?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?! T_T* T_T* T_T* But I know... YOU people will not CARE, understanding or not, even HERE on 7 Cups which I THOUGHT it is SUPPOSED to be about sharing problems and feelings and SO ON. What else? -_-'
What Are Your Favorite Fidgets?
by jesusredeemedme2425
Last post
April 17th
...See more I just found one of these! I had never seen them before <3 It's called a Kaleidocycle <3 I also have a tie dye fidget spinner, which looks a bit like this <3 What are your favorite fidgets? <3
What helps you with noise sensitivity?
by Cassiopeia25
Last post
February 28th
...See more I've been really struggling with sensory issues around sound. Noises just seem so overwhelming, especially if someone is talking to me on the phone or when someone is eating around me. Can anyone relate, or does anyone know if there is anything to help - maybe subtle earplugs? Or just anything that works for you? Thank you!
What are your sensory needs?
by SammyLouise
Last post
January 3rd
...See more Hi guys,  So being an adult on the waiting list for an assessment, I've finally begun to accept things about myself. For my whole life, I've hidden my needs and I'm coming to the point where I have accepted my sensory needs and my mental health has improved for it. So, however weird they may be, I wanted to share out loud for the first time, some of the things that bother me.  The things that bother me: 1. Loud Noises (especially loud cars) -> I now have loops which help :) 2. Chewy textures -> I can't stand mushrooms. 3. Light physical contact --> I can't stand light hugs or someone brushing past me. 4. Dry feelings -> I constantly carry hand moisturiser, and have secretively avoided wooden spoons for my whole life. 5. Showering and Brushing my Teeth -> Admitting how difficult this can be to do daily is a huge step for me. And here are the things I do enjoy: 1. Walking in the pouring rain 2. My weighted blanket 3. Jumping to music 4. The sound of rain 5. Scented candles and baths Thank you so much if you've read all of this! I'd love to hear your lists :) 
Autism motivation
by moonflowersystem
Last post
December 17th, 2023
...See more I always struggled with cleaning my room but today at seven pm I wanted to find a cute outfit for tomorrow and I got it it smelled it and went ew this smelled horrendous! So I ended up grabbing all the dirty clothes and washing them then I went oh well might as well pick up trash and that turned into a whole room cleaning session and now I have no motivation to continue-
I hate my Snsory problems
by ProbablyParker
Last post
September 20th, 2023
...See more I am so sesoity to texters and noise and what i see an di get over stimulated very very easaly when i touch or taste a texter i dont like it makes me tik and its super anyyoing bv it can be super disruptive depting on my stiwation. and when i hear to much i tend to mentdown and go non verble and its getting superfrustraing same with to much happing and when that dose happen my parents tell me to knock it off and that i am being drmatic and that i was fine a min ago and its super super frusting
Processing Issues
by StressedGirl
Last post
September 10th, 2023
...See more Struggling with noise/language processing a lot today. Made anything virtually impossible. People still springing stuff on me.

Autism All blue and underlined text is clickable

Welcome to Autism! This is a safe, supportive and inclusive space for you to discuss everything and anything related to Autism. Our main goal is to support everyone that stops by and make this sub community one that is inclusive! 

What are the different forum topics for Autism?

Community Space: A place for icebreakers, introductions, discussions and community check-ins.

Discussions & Resources: Want to get involved in the latest discussions? Find them here!

Living with Autism: Do you live with autism? Talk about your experiences here.

How can I help?

You can help us by simply responding to threads and sharing your story (if you're comfortable). Check-in with us, join a discussion, or start one! Alternatively, you can join us as a Forum Leader. Check out this thread for more information.

Helpful Threads

Taglist: Do you want to stay up to date with our community? Then join our tag list to be notified whenever there is a new discussion or update within the community!

Help! I still have a question!

If you need help, feel free to contact a community leader or post here, and someone will contact you!

Autism FAQ

Are there any sub-community-specific guidelines that we need to adhere to?

You can find Sub-community-specific guidelines below, which you should follow in addition to the general forum guidelines.

Is this sub community just for people who have been diagnosed with Autism?

Nope! Everyone is welcome here! Whether you have been diagnosed or not, feel free to come pull up a chair and join us! This space is inclusive and no matter your story, we would love for you to be here 

How do I navigate the sub-community?

You can find a handy guide here on how to find your way around our forum. 

I have another question…

We love questions! You can ask your questions in this thread and someone will respond to you as soon as possible.

Community Leaders
Forum Supporter
Community Resources