Skip to main content Skip to bottom nav

Communication Issues

How are you handling communication problems with family and friends? 

I was diagnosed a couple years ago and everyone was understanding and supportive for the first few months.  Now its back to how I am the problem, why don't I talk like normal people or I need to stop hiding behind autism and using autism as an excuse when there are communication problems. 

I'm a bit frustrated and trying to figure out how to meet halfway with people. 

helpfulhuman778 July 3rd

@lavenderJackfruit1594 Although I don't have the relevant questions, I am willing to help you think of some solutions, I hope it can be helpful to you. I hope you can think like now, write down what you want to say, write it on a note to your family, they will understand, I believe they will be very happy to receive a letter from your open heart. Another way is to start practicing by saying "good morning" to them every morning. If that doesn't work, we can start practicing by giving them a smile in the morning.

GmaFox July 4th

@lavenderJackfruit1594

I love your goal of trying to figure out how to meet people halfway. I am trying to do that too. 

Here's one of the processes I'm using:

1. I started by starting a list of all of the communication behaviors that seem to create a negative reaction in others. I have a fairly long list 😄

2. Then I identified the ones that I also don't like doing! Ones that I end up thinking about afterwards, "ugh, why did I do that???" An example is being in a group and being the first one to answer when someone brings up a problem or an idea. And usually my answer evaluates their idea in some way. 

3. Then I list what I want to do instead of what I've been doing. In my example, my behavior is to "wait!! Let someone else go first!!"  (I have to use exclamation points, to get my attention, you know? 😄)

4. Then I just try to do the new behavior. And when I am successful, I give myself a personal hi-five or gold star. Other people think I'm just being "normal", but I know I'm being awesome.

Eventually, it get's easier. I still have to be mindful to do it, which means it takes effort. And effort means too much of it will lead to burnout. So it's important to think about your strategies for when you get close to burnout. 

Hope this is helpful!