Community /

Autism Support

Create a New Thread
Gif Photo Link
Autism Automated Taglist!
by tommy
Last post
August 16th
...See more Welcome to the Autism Taglist This thread is an auto-updating list. The list is regularly updated by forum leaders and can be found below. Having issues? Reply below and someone will help you! Why should I join the taglist? ✔ Never miss out on sub-community check-ins, discussions or events ✔ Get tagged and notified by community leaders whenever a new relevant thread has been posted ✔ Become a more active member of the community. What do I need to do? ✅ To add yourself to this taglist, press the Post to Thread button below and write the exact words Please add me. ❌ To remove yourself from this taglist, press the Post to Thread button below and write the exact words Please remove me. ------------------------- Current taglist as of 29 Dec (updated by tommy) @Alwayshungry983 @AutiBoy @azuladragon34 @beck1 @courteousCoconut2519 @Fozziewozzie @GwydionRowan @HarmonyBlossom @HatsEatYou @Howegeorgia @Jenna @JovianPlutonian @JustMeUwU @llemonz @LoveMyMoonflowers @NeurospicyGirl @NightOwl2003 @pineapple7722 @Plantsaremybestfriends @RainbowRosie @sentientape @silentbuster26 @SillyBlue32 @SleepyShyCat @smolLITTLEpotato @softParadise5949 @Stasia86 @StressedGirl @SunnyCat0 @teenytinyturtle @theboymoana @tommy @Trosclair03 @Twigo7 @unassumingPeach6421 @Vivikun9 @wishfulWillow6962 @Zahrian2112
5 Things You Shouldn’t Say to Someone on the Autism Spectrum
by Jenna
Last post
May 14th
...See more Although the general public has become more aware of autism, there’s still a long way to go. The autistic community has commonly been told some phrases that we frankly don’t want to hear. These comments can be ignorant and hurtful, even with good intentions. Here are five things you shouldn’t say to someone on the autism spectrum. 1) “You can’t possibly be autistic” Why would you flat-out deny something I know I am? It’s not up to you to decide who is autistic! We often get this comment when others hear that we have a relationship, a job, a child, or an educational qualification. They become skeptical and say, “But you’re doing so well. You can’t possibly be autistic!” Unusually, we also get this from those who are very familiar with autism. A parent might say, “You’re not autistic! You’re nothing like my autistic child who can’t do anything independently.” The truth is that everyone with autism is different and a diagnosis is not destiny. We consider it prejudiced to assume that autistic people are all lost causes who can’t possibly succeed in life. We can be capable of so much if we have an open mind. 2) “You must be good at math” Not this misconception again! We get it, you’ve heard too many negative things about autism and you want to compliment us instead. But again, we’re all different. People on the autism spectrum have just as much variety as those outside it. This includes our abilities, which don’t always match the media stereotype. Some of us are great at math and some of us are terrible. Some of us are natural with computers and some of us are technologically illiterate. Some of us are savants and some of us struggle intellectually. Just like you, there’s no single profile of our mental abilities. Putting some abilities on a pedestal can exclude autistic people who lack those abilities and make them feel inferior. 3) “You don’t look autistic. You seem so normal” What does this even mean? How does someone look autistic? How does someone look normal? We’re physically no different from the rest of you. There’s no way for someone to look autistic at all. This comment is even worse if this is supposed to be a compliment. It suggests that seeming “autistic” is inferior and seeming “normal” is an ideal standard. We’re just different from you and we don’t want to be forced to be someone we’re not. 4) “What’s it like to be autistic?” What a strange and generic question. I might as well ask you, “What’s it like to be not autistic?” We don’t even know where to begin to answer this. Being autistic is everything we know. It’s in every single experience we have from day to day. Also, there’s no unified autistic life experience. Every autistic person has their own unique life, with experiences different from the others. Are there any experiences that are universally shared between all of us? Sure. We all get asked these silly questions. 5) “Everyone’s on the autism spectrum” No, they’re not. Trust me. Those who make this comment are suggesting that everyone understands and shares our struggles to some degree. Is this supposed to make us feel better? Well, it doesn’t work, because it’s a totally false suggestion. Others don’t know what it’s like to be autistic and never will. As funny as it is to say, only autistic people are autistic. This comment isn’t reassuring, it’s totally dismissive of our unique struggles and experiences. Have you heard any of the comments mentioned in the article? References Brown, L. (2012, February 27). 15 Things You Should Never Say To An Autistic. AWN. https://awnnetwork.org/15-things-you-should-never-say-to-an-autistic/ Hirschberg, E. (2017, December 13). What To Say & What Not To Say To Someone With Autism. Research Autism. https://researchautism.org/what-to-say-what-not-to-say-to-someone-with-autism/ [https://researchautism.org/what-to-say-what-not-to-say-to-someone-with-autism/] Stout, A. (2016, July 6). 11 Things Not to Say to Someone with Autism. The Autism Site. https://blog.theautismsite.greatergood.com/dont-say-autism/ [https://blog.theautismsite.greatergood.com/dont-say-autism/] credit [x [https://psych2go.net/5-things-you-shouldnt-say-to-someone-on-the-autism-spectrum/]]
World Autism Awareness Day: Moving from Surviving to Thriving!
by SoulfullyAButterfly
Last post
April 3rd
...See more Hi everyone, Today, April 2nd, is World Autism Awareness Day! This year's theme, "Moving from Surviving to Thriving: Autistic Individuals share regional perspectives," is all about creating a world where autistic people can not just cope, but flourish. The UN's World Autism Awareness Day event will feature autistic panelists from all over the globe. You can find more information and the livestream link here: UN World Autism Awareness Day [https://www.un.org/en/observances/autism-day]  Tips for Thriving: ✨ Self-advocacy: Learning to communicate your needs and preferences is crucial. There are many resources available to help you develop your self-advocacy skills. ✨ Find your community: Connecting with other autistic people can be a source of support and understanding. The 7 Cups Autism Community is growing every day - subscribe by clicking join this community here [https://www.7cups.com/forum/autism/]. ✨ Explore your interests: Autistic people often have many passions and dedication to focus. Explore your interests and find ways to make them a part of your life. ✨ Seek professional help: If you are struggling, don't hesitate to seek professional help. Therapists and counselors can provide valuable support and guidance. Here are some questions to explore: 🌻 What are some of the biggest barriers you face as an autistic person in your community? 🌻 What kind of support has helped you the most on your journey? 🌻 What are you passionate about? How can you use your unique skills to make a difference? Looking forward to hearing from all of you!
Age Dysphoria?
by RobinGoodfella
Last post
September 2nd
...See more Sounds like a joke, doesn't it? "I feel like an 18-year-old trapped in a 60-year-old body." "No, you aren't. You're just an old pervert." Honestly, however, it feels like it's a major part of my autistic experience. Some parts of me are still 2 years old. Many parts of me are trapped in adolescence, still trying to figure out the "adult world". And a part of me was 60 even when I was actually 5. If I could "transition" to actually be perceived as the teen/young adult that I feel like, I think I could be more comfortable -- youngsters are supposed to be as confused, and inexperienced, and clumsy as I have been all my life.  But it still feels like a bad joke. It's probably impossible. And, in many areas, it would probably get me labeled as a predator even if my thoughts, motives, and actions are pure. So what can I do in order to unmask and be who I feel like I am *without* making the folks around me uncomfortable. No joke, just confusion.
Recent studies affirm that autistics have more neurons than typical people.
by Hickss
Last post
September 1st
...See more On average, autistic children have 67% more neurons than other children in the prefrontal cortex. This region of the brain is linked to social, emotional, communicative and cognitive development. But is affected due to autism.
How Can I Develop Relationships at Work
by reliableeagle6670
Last post
August 22nd
...See more Hey all, I have been at my job for about a year. I feel like most people do not like me at work. It seems they do not want to interact with me very much. I want to be friendly and interactive, but it makes me anxious. I also tend to be overwhelmed at work which probably makes me unapproachable. I can talk about one of my special interests (video games) very confidently with a few people. Does anyone have any tips? 
Depression & Special Interests
by SleepyShyCat
Last post
August 8th
...See more I think depression is ruining my enjoyment of my special interest. It is really sad... I have no joy or enthusiasm recently, no motivation. Usually, that would only extend to other parts of my life & I'd still be able to engage with my special interest, because it's what I enjoy most and obsessed with & gave me respite from my mental health. However the last few months, I've not been able to feel joy or happiness from anything, not even my special interest ≽^╥⩊╥^≼ & it makes me feel like I don't even like it anymore, which is an absolutely devastating feeling. I know I do still like it, I just feel so empty.  I have no motivation or energy to engage with it, so all day I do nothing. I haven't been able to do any of my usual activities related to my special interest and it makes me SO sad. I cry a lot. I almost feels like I'm grieving it. It makes my depression feel worse. I don't want to get up ever and nothing feels worth the effort.  Life sucks at the moment, I feel like I have nothing left anymore 😭
Autistic Regression
by unassumingPeach6421
Last post
August 5th
...See more The summer's almost over, the nightmare will be over soon. I know I'm not lazy, but if I want to avoid this nightmare again, I need to work harder and smarter. I need to get my butt to work. Anyways, I came home this summer. Sometimes it feels like everyone expects me to be down, stupid, and unsuccessful. I embrace that identity a bit at home because nothing seems to change, and here's why. After a month at home I always experience an autistic regression. With the stress and the panic I just can't take it anymore. My family and I don't see eye to eye. The worst is when they insult me. I knew coming home that they wouldn't respect me. They have an overwhelming to do list of social agenda's I don't know about until the 20 minutes before they start almost EVERY DAY that usually involve noise levels I find difficult to manage. Then there's the grandmother with dementia we all have to drop anything we're doing at any given moment to watch and she's a flight risk so I mean WATCH. I haven't been myself. I only have one functioning day in the week. The rest I'm stuck, can't move. I can't think sometimes I just don't think and god at some points I wanted to unalive myself. I didn't of course, I didn't really want to, but I sure thought about it. I just wanted the pain to go away. I asked for accommodations from my family and they told me what I was asking would require them to change too much of who they are. I guess to live at home I have to sacrifice who I am instead. I always feel like a shell of myself. 
Best Quote of the Day
by SkyRanchDragonfruit24
Last post
July 25th
...See more
Excuse me, people...?
by AshleyGamer1995
Last post
July 21st
...See more Reminder: My latest thread has not been issued a response. Please give me one (but don't write in the "G" word that I mentioned there, however. I have a dislike to them.) https://www.7cups.com/forum/autism/Sensory_2598/IamsoANGRYrightnow_332854/
Communication Issues
by lavenderJackfruit1594
Last post
July 4th
...See more How are you handling communication problems with family and friends?  I was diagnosed a couple years ago and everyone was understanding and supportive for the first few months.  Now its back to how I am the problem, why don't I talk like normal people or I need to stop hiding behind autism and using autism as an excuse when there are communication problems.  I'm a bit frustrated and trying to figure out how to meet halfway with people. 
Lil vent bout collecting
by moonflowersystem
Last post
May 24th
...See more I'm autistic and I have a stronger connection to animals then humans and I like collecting today I found a dead baby bird and wanted to keep it! I was so excited but now everyone I tell I upset.... I was so excited to tell people but now I just upset people...
autism & honesty
by shoutingintoether
Last post
May 24th
...See more i get really, really effed up when people lie even in situations where neurotypicals think it's more polite to lie. i never agree with that, because i don't care about reputation or momentary embarrassment or even momentary hurt. no. i care about respect, and honor, and honesty. if you don't wanna hang out with me, tell me. if you don't love or even like me as much as you think i do you, tell me. if there's something you're ashamed of, tell me. if i make you uncomfortable, tell me. if there's a boundary i'm overstepping without realizing it, tell me. WHATEVER IT IS, I CANNOT JUST "TAKE THE HINT." AND I WOULD RATHER FEEL ANY RANGE OF EMOTIONS NOW THAN HAVE MY REALITY SHATTERED LATER. i vastly prefer to just take people at their word because it makes things far less complicated, usually, and there is little i will judge someone for...except for lying. you could be a self-aware narcissist, i've met one, she was a lovely individual; because she was working on healing, which meant working on recognizing the needs of others in order to have healthier, longer-lasting relationships; and as long as there is communication, reliability, and respect, honor, and honesty, we will be fine. i don't care nearly as much about empathy, sympathy, normalcy, neurotypicality, but by the melting grace of a snowball in Heck, i care very, very much about communication, reliability, respect, honor, and honesty rant over
My experience as an autistic teenager
by BalceJusbi
Last post
April 30th
...See more Hi, I am new here. I am a 15 years old boy and I suffer from autism. I was diagnosed about a year ago, but always had suspicions about it while growing up. I was also diagnosed with ADHD and Generalized anxiety disorder, which makes my life way more difficult than it should be. I don’t know if it’s an experience a lot of autistic people experience, but I often feel like this reality doesn’t belong to me. What I mean is that I often feel like I wasn’t made for this society, nothing about social norms makes any sense for me and I really struggle with being in public. Am I the only one who feels like everything is too complicated? For me, neurotypical people are a mystery I am unable to comprehend. Still, I manage to mask pretty well, with the consequence of me being unsure of who I really am, deep down. Sometimes I’d say I hate being autistic, but it’s often only because society treats it as a disability and a mental disorder, which makes me feel rejected. I wish society was more inclusive and comprehensive of other realities, like neurodivergent people. I also wish my difference wasn’t treated so much like a serious disability. Yes, I struggle with certain things, but it does not mean I am stupid or that I should be treated like a child. People should be more informed about realities of people with autism.
Share your feelings
by Auspicidy
Last post
March 26th
...See more How does Autism effect your life? Are you proud or ashamed of it? Why? REMEMBER: There is always someone who cares for you without your knowledge

Autism All blue and underlined text is clickable

Welcome to Autism! This is a safe, supportive and inclusive space for you to discuss everything and anything related to Autism. Our main goal is to support everyone that stops by and make this sub community one that is inclusive! 

What are the different forum topics for Autism?

Community Space: A place for icebreakers, introductions, discussions and community check-ins.

Discussions & Resources: Want to get involved in the latest discussions? Find them here!

Living with Autism: Do you live with autism? Talk about your experiences here.

How can I help?

You can help us by simply responding to threads and sharing your story (if you're comfortable). Check-in with us, join a discussion, or start one! Alternatively, you can join us as a Forum Leader. Check out this thread for more information.

Helpful Threads

Taglist: Do you want to stay up to date with our community? Then join our tag list to be notified whenever there is a new discussion or update within the community!

Help! I still have a question!

If you need help, feel free to contact a community leader or post here, and someone will contact you!

Autism FAQ

Are there any sub-community-specific guidelines that we need to adhere to?

You can find Sub-community-specific guidelines below, which you should follow in addition to the general forum guidelines.

Is this sub community just for people who have been diagnosed with Autism?

Nope! Everyone is welcome here! Whether you have been diagnosed or not, feel free to come pull up a chair and join us! This space is inclusive and no matter your story, we would love for you to be here 

How do I navigate the sub-community?

You can find a handy guide here on how to find your way around our forum. 

I have another question…

We love questions! You can ask your questions in this thread and someone will respond to you as soon as possible.

Community Leaders
Forum Supporter
Community Resources