Skip to main content Skip to bottom nav

HI 👋

Stasia86 November 24th, 2023

I've been trying to understand myself more recently and am having such a hard time regulating my emotions.  It was suggested by a professional recently that my adult sister was probably on the spectrum. So I started researching autism. So many traits and symptoms hit home for me. I had never considered that maybe this was the reason for my unusual tendencies. My exhaustion from social situations. 

I'm not sure if this is even the right place to ask... at my age (38) is it even worth pursuing a diagnosis? Are there any advantages to being officially diagnosed? 

SleepyShyCat November 25th, 2023

@Stasia86

There are advantages and disadvantages, but really it is up to you and what you feel is best for your situation. 

Learning about yourself in any way is helpful, and whether you go about diagnosis or not, there is various support available either way. 

There's lots of helpful information avaliable online these days, and many helpful books. Professionals can help provide definitive clarity, but not everyone feels that is necessary. 

Good luck :) 

Bryan6807 December 1st, 2023

@Stasia86

Hi! I'm 38 also and am planning to pursue a diagnosis; probably. I don't think it matters much really, but I feel like it would help me personally. I learned a few years ago that I was on the spectrum, which i kind of already knew, I just didn't have a name for it yet. It can be really difficult at times. I hope you are doing well with everything. Best wishes :)Â