Community /

Autism Support

Create a New Thread
Gif Photo Link
Autism Automated Taglist!
by tommy
Last post
August 16th
...See more Welcome to the Autism Taglist This thread is an auto-updating list. The list is regularly updated by forum leaders and can be found below. Having issues? Reply below and someone will help you! Why should I join the taglist? ✔ Never miss out on sub-community check-ins, discussions or events ✔ Get tagged and notified by community leaders whenever a new relevant thread has been posted ✔ Become a more active member of the community. What do I need to do? ✅ To add yourself to this taglist, press the Post to Thread button below and write the exact words Please add me. ❌ To remove yourself from this taglist, press the Post to Thread button below and write the exact words Please remove me. ------------------------- Current taglist as of 29 Dec (updated by tommy) @Alwayshungry983 @AutiBoy @azuladragon34 @beck1 @courteousCoconut2519 @Fozziewozzie @GwydionRowan @HarmonyBlossom @HatsEatYou @Howegeorgia @Jenna @JovianPlutonian @JustMeUwU @llemonz @LoveMyMoonflowers @NeurospicyGirl @NightOwl2003 @pineapple7722 @Plantsaremybestfriends @RainbowRosie @sentientape @silentbuster26 @SillyBlue32 @SleepyShyCat @smolLITTLEpotato @softParadise5949 @Stasia86 @StressedGirl @SunnyCat0 @teenytinyturtle @theboymoana @tommy @Trosclair03 @Twigo7 @unassumingPeach6421 @Vivikun9 @wishfulWillow6962 @Zahrian2112
5 Things You Shouldn’t Say to Someone on the Autism Spectrum
by Jenna
Last post
May 14th
...See more Although the general public has become more aware of autism, there’s still a long way to go. The autistic community has commonly been told some phrases that we frankly don’t want to hear. These comments can be ignorant and hurtful, even with good intentions. Here are five things you shouldn’t say to someone on the autism spectrum. 1) “You can’t possibly be autistic” Why would you flat-out deny something I know I am? It’s not up to you to decide who is autistic! We often get this comment when others hear that we have a relationship, a job, a child, or an educational qualification. They become skeptical and say, “But you’re doing so well. You can’t possibly be autistic!” Unusually, we also get this from those who are very familiar with autism. A parent might say, “You’re not autistic! You’re nothing like my autistic child who can’t do anything independently.” The truth is that everyone with autism is different and a diagnosis is not destiny. We consider it prejudiced to assume that autistic people are all lost causes who can’t possibly succeed in life. We can be capable of so much if we have an open mind. 2) “You must be good at math” Not this misconception again! We get it, you’ve heard too many negative things about autism and you want to compliment us instead. But again, we’re all different. People on the autism spectrum have just as much variety as those outside it. This includes our abilities, which don’t always match the media stereotype. Some of us are great at math and some of us are terrible. Some of us are natural with computers and some of us are technologically illiterate. Some of us are savants and some of us struggle intellectually. Just like you, there’s no single profile of our mental abilities. Putting some abilities on a pedestal can exclude autistic people who lack those abilities and make them feel inferior. 3) “You don’t look autistic. You seem so normal” What does this even mean? How does someone look autistic? How does someone look normal? We’re physically no different from the rest of you. There’s no way for someone to look autistic at all. This comment is even worse if this is supposed to be a compliment. It suggests that seeming “autistic” is inferior and seeming “normal” is an ideal standard. We’re just different from you and we don’t want to be forced to be someone we’re not. 4) “What’s it like to be autistic?” What a strange and generic question. I might as well ask you, “What’s it like to be not autistic?” We don’t even know where to begin to answer this. Being autistic is everything we know. It’s in every single experience we have from day to day. Also, there’s no unified autistic life experience. Every autistic person has their own unique life, with experiences different from the others. Are there any experiences that are universally shared between all of us? Sure. We all get asked these silly questions. 5) “Everyone’s on the autism spectrum” No, they’re not. Trust me. Those who make this comment are suggesting that everyone understands and shares our struggles to some degree. Is this supposed to make us feel better? Well, it doesn’t work, because it’s a totally false suggestion. Others don’t know what it’s like to be autistic and never will. As funny as it is to say, only autistic people are autistic. This comment isn’t reassuring, it’s totally dismissive of our unique struggles and experiences. Have you heard any of the comments mentioned in the article? References Brown, L. (2012, February 27). 15 Things You Should Never Say To An Autistic. AWN. https://awnnetwork.org/15-things-you-should-never-say-to-an-autistic/ Hirschberg, E. (2017, December 13). What To Say & What Not To Say To Someone With Autism. Research Autism. https://researchautism.org/what-to-say-what-not-to-say-to-someone-with-autism/ [https://researchautism.org/what-to-say-what-not-to-say-to-someone-with-autism/] Stout, A. (2016, July 6). 11 Things Not to Say to Someone with Autism. The Autism Site. https://blog.theautismsite.greatergood.com/dont-say-autism/ [https://blog.theautismsite.greatergood.com/dont-say-autism/] credit [x [https://psych2go.net/5-things-you-shouldnt-say-to-someone-on-the-autism-spectrum/]]
World Autism Awareness Day: Moving from Surviving to Thriving!
by SoulfullyAButterfly
Last post
April 3rd
...See more Hi everyone, Today, April 2nd, is World Autism Awareness Day! This year's theme, "Moving from Surviving to Thriving: Autistic Individuals share regional perspectives," is all about creating a world where autistic people can not just cope, but flourish. The UN's World Autism Awareness Day event will feature autistic panelists from all over the globe. You can find more information and the livestream link here: UN World Autism Awareness Day [https://www.un.org/en/observances/autism-day]  Tips for Thriving: ✨ Self-advocacy: Learning to communicate your needs and preferences is crucial. There are many resources available to help you develop your self-advocacy skills. ✨ Find your community: Connecting with other autistic people can be a source of support and understanding. The 7 Cups Autism Community is growing every day - subscribe by clicking join this community here [https://www.7cups.com/forum/autism/]. ✨ Explore your interests: Autistic people often have many passions and dedication to focus. Explore your interests and find ways to make them a part of your life. ✨ Seek professional help: If you are struggling, don't hesitate to seek professional help. Therapists and counselors can provide valuable support and guidance. Here are some questions to explore: 🌻 What are some of the biggest barriers you face as an autistic person in your community? 🌻 What kind of support has helped you the most on your journey? 🌻 What are you passionate about? How can you use your unique skills to make a difference? Looking forward to hearing from all of you!
wondering if i have a low level of autism
by thatweirdfallkid
Last post
September 3rd
...See more i haven't been formally diagnosed, but i'm pretty sure i have a degree of ADHD and possibly mild autism if anyone wants to discuss that might be helpful, i kinda want to talk to somebody about it i guess
Hi friends
by Zevia1MM
Last post
June 27th
...See more I was wondering if anyone could give me some resources or groups for women with ASD? 
Walking with Questions Unanswered
by Megalomentaurus
Last post
May 17th
...See more Hello. For the record, with this thread post if I accidentally offend anyone, please let me know, and I'll try to avoid making the same mistake again. This is just a vent for me, as my life feels like a trapped circle of chains that I can't break myself out of. I feel desperate and stressed out, upset, and confused. I feel a lot of exhaustion as well as these thoughts are constantly in my head and I need help figuring them out. Please if anyone would like to give assistance, that'd be greatly appreciated. So, I am NOT diagnosed with autism, but I feel I may be autistic. I will get diagnosed eventually on May 8th, but at the time of this post, it isn't May 8th yet. I've been wondering what's been up with me for years, but these couple of months have been real tough on me as the diagnostic is close, but STILL not there. If people would want to help me learn more about what autism is like, so I can not only educate myself, but also help figure myself out, I would appreciate it. I also wrote like 10 pages of symptoms on my small journal (Yeah, I really did go into it.) I'll showcase them here, and if anyone wants to put their opinions on it, and say whether or not I'm autistic, that'll be good too. I know this isn't a tool to diagnosis, but I'd feel it'd be important to reach out to autistic people or people are knowledgeable about it, so I can learn more about my symptoms. I also diagnosed with depression, anxiety, and PTSD, so I'm not sure if those may intervene with one another instead. However, for my PTSD, I haven't been diagnosed with that BEFORE I started to wonder if I was autistic. The PTSD is a recent diagnosis. I've also been considered to have ADHD, such as from my psychiatrist. My ex-online friend thought I could be autistic while another ex-online friend thought I could have ADHD, and they WERE actually diagnosed with ADHD. Overall, there's a lot of complications when it comes to figuring who I am and what I'm dealing with. If people could help me figure it out in here, I'd enjoy reading the information and asking questions or concerns if I have any. Thank you! Here's the list of my symptoms by the way (that I've noticed and believe they may point to me being autistic) so you can see them yourself: I find social situations confusing and overwhelming. It's hard for me to make and keep friendships.  I think I hyperfixate on a specific fictional character (Miles "Tails" Prower from Sonic the Hedgehog) compared to other characters in a (the) particular franchise. This character also increased my love for a specific animal (foxes) for merely existing.  I find comfort in routines and I do get upset and panicky when something happens and my routine changes, like having to go into a different building instead of a classroom on schedule, for example, at school.  I'm terrified to get in trouble at school and I will try to follow the rules, feeling really guilty and angry at myself if I don't follow expectations or mess up.  I believe I stim. I've nail-bit my fingers for a long time, and I still do to this day, but it's not as common. I also rock back and forth, bounce my leg, and "flap" my hands. I also fidget with my orange stress ball and finding increasing comfort and sentiment towards it. These behaviors happen all the time; not just when I'm anxious or stressed.  I find it really hard to calm myself and my anxious thoughts.  I find it difficult to regulate my emotions and cope with them in a healthy way.  I believe I'm more emotional and sensitive than others.  I'm very sensitive to loud noises, and I have specific triggers that make me mad.  I dislike certain textures and clothing; most types of pants, wet hair, etc.  I was much shyer and awkward when I was younger.  I also struggled with eye contact more so in the past, feeling constantly to look at others.  I'm easily startled and jumpy.  I believe I get meltdowns, but I suppress them at school.  I believe I struggle with focus and impulsivity. Look at them carefully and take your time to write your thoughts. Also, if you want more details on any of these symptoms, let me know too! I hope I can learn more about the autism spectrum and educate myself on this topic.
5 Things You Shouldn’t Say to Someone on the Autism Spectrum
by Jenna
Last post
May 14th
...See more Although the general public has become more aware of autism, there’s still a long way to go. The autistic community has commonly been told some phrases that we frankly don’t want to hear. These comments can be ignorant and hurtful, even with good intentions. Here are five things you shouldn’t say to someone on the autism spectrum. 1) “You can’t possibly be autistic” Why would you flat-out deny something I know I am? It’s not up to you to decide who is autistic! We often get this comment when others hear that we have a relationship, a job, a child, or an educational qualification. They become skeptical and say, “But you’re doing so well. You can’t possibly be autistic!” Unusually, we also get this from those who are very familiar with autism. A parent might say, “You’re not autistic! You’re nothing like my autistic child who can’t do anything independently.” The truth is that everyone with autism is different and a diagnosis is not destiny. We consider it prejudiced to assume that autistic people are all lost causes who can’t possibly succeed in life. We can be capable of so much if we have an open mind. 2) “You must be good at math” Not this misconception again! We get it, you’ve heard too many negative things about autism and you want to compliment us instead. But again, we’re all different. People on the autism spectrum have just as much variety as those outside it. This includes our abilities, which don’t always match the media stereotype. Some of us are great at math and some of us are terrible. Some of us are natural with computers and some of us are technologically illiterate. Some of us are savants and some of us struggle intellectually. Just like you, there’s no single profile of our mental abilities. Putting some abilities on a pedestal can exclude autistic people who lack those abilities and make them feel inferior. 3) “You don’t look autistic. You seem so normal” What does this even mean? How does someone look autistic? How does someone look normal? We’re physically no different from the rest of you. There’s no way for someone to look autistic at all. This comment is even worse if this is supposed to be a compliment. It suggests that seeming “autistic” is inferior and seeming “normal” is an ideal standard. We’re just different from you and we don’t want to be forced to be someone we’re not. 4) “What’s it like to be autistic?” What a strange and generic question. I might as well ask you, “What’s it like to be not autistic?” We don’t even know where to begin to answer this. Being autistic is everything we know. It’s in every single experience we have from day to day. Also, there’s no unified autistic life experience. Every autistic person has their own unique life, with experiences different from the others. Are there any experiences that are universally shared between all of us? Sure. We all get asked these silly questions. 5) “Everyone’s on the autism spectrum” No, they’re not. Trust me. Those who make this comment are suggesting that everyone understands and shares our struggles to some degree. Is this supposed to make us feel better? Well, it doesn’t work, because it’s a totally false suggestion. Others don’t know what it’s like to be autistic and never will. As funny as it is to say, only autistic people are autistic. This comment isn’t reassuring, it’s totally dismissive of our unique struggles and experiences. Have you heard any of the comments mentioned in the article? References Brown, L. (2012, February 27). 15 Things You Should Never Say To An Autistic. AWN. https://awnnetwork.org/15-things-you-should-never-say-to-an-autistic/ Hirschberg, E. (2017, December 13). What To Say & What Not To Say To Someone With Autism. Research Autism. https://researchautism.org/what-to-say-what-not-to-say-to-someone-with-autism/ [https://researchautism.org/what-to-say-what-not-to-say-to-someone-with-autism/] Stout, A. (2016, July 6). 11 Things Not to Say to Someone with Autism. The Autism Site. https://blog.theautismsite.greatergood.com/dont-say-autism/ [https://blog.theautismsite.greatergood.com/dont-say-autism/] credit [x [https://psych2go.net/5-things-you-shouldnt-say-to-someone-on-the-autism-spectrum/]]
Learning a bit or two ♡
by incredibleRainbows2036
Last post
April 22nd
...See more Hey to all the Amazing people who stumble upon this post ♡  Yes , you lovely ♡ I am a new member in this community . Though I felt like I should post this forum on Student Support Community  , I feel like this post belongs here ♡  Today my teacher asked me if I could write a poem or a piece of paper on people suffering with Autism . As this is Autism Awareness Month  , I felt the need to actually write a bit on it ,  I have talked to a lot of members who are suffering from Autism but never really got an exact idea of their sufferings . Though I supported them , I still need to learn a lot more about Autism to actually  represent their experiences and pain in ideal manner. Thus I want a favor from each of you amazing people who stumble on this post . I want you guys to share your experiences,  struggles or pain while suffering with Autism  and circulate it to people here on cups who could help me write and research more about it .  I hope I get a good amount of replies by Friday so that by weekend I could work on that piece of paper . Ofc your name or anything personal related to you won't be shared with anyone , be it here on cups or outside.  Your anonymity is my duty to keep ♡ If any of you want to PMs me about this,  that's alright as well ♡  Thank you for reading this post throughout ♡ Hope you have a good day/night ahead  Warm Regards ♡ With love  Twinkle ♡
World Autism Awareness Day: Moving from Surviving to Thriving!
by SoulfullyAButterfly
Last post
April 3rd
...See more Hi everyone, Today, April 2nd, is World Autism Awareness Day! This year's theme, "Moving from Surviving to Thriving: Autistic Individuals share regional perspectives," is all about creating a world where autistic people can not just cope, but flourish. The UN's World Autism Awareness Day event will feature autistic panelists from all over the globe. You can find more information and the livestream link here: UN World Autism Awareness Day [https://www.un.org/en/observances/autism-day]  Tips for Thriving: ✨ Self-advocacy: Learning to communicate your needs and preferences is crucial. There are many resources available to help you develop your self-advocacy skills. ✨ Find your community: Connecting with other autistic people can be a source of support and understanding. The 7 Cups Autism Community is growing every day - subscribe by clicking join this community here [https://www.7cups.com/forum/autism/]. ✨ Explore your interests: Autistic people often have many passions and dedication to focus. Explore your interests and find ways to make them a part of your life. ✨ Seek professional help: If you are struggling, don't hesitate to seek professional help. Therapists and counselors can provide valuable support and guidance. Here are some questions to explore: 🌻 What are some of the biggest barriers you face as an autistic person in your community? 🌻 What kind of support has helped you the most on your journey? 🌻 What are you passionate about? How can you use your unique skills to make a difference? Looking forward to hearing from all of you!
HI 👋
by Stasia86
Last post
December 1st, 2023
...See more I've been trying to understand myself more recently and am having such a hard time regulating my emotions.  It was suggested by a professional recently that my adult sister was probably on the spectrum. So I started researching autism. So many traits and symptoms hit home for me. I had never considered that maybe this was the reason for my unusual tendencies. My exhaustion from social situations.  I'm not sure if this is even the right place to ask... at my age (38) is it even worth pursuing a diagnosis? Are there any advantages to being officially diagnosed? 
Mindfullness special session.
by
Last post
November 11th, 2023
...See more 📢 Join us on November 13th at 3:30 pm ET for a discussion on the topic " Embrassing the Present: cultivating mindfulness for autistic adults" In Mindfulness corner Room. Let's explore the importance of embracing the present moment and support each other's growth. Tag your 7cups  friends  who you think would be interested in joining this discussion - be part of this enriching conversation. Tagging- @Alwayshungry983 @AutiBoy @azuladragon34 @beck1 @courteousCoconut2519 @Fozziewozzie @GwydionRowan @HarmonyBlossom @HatsEatYou @Howegeorgia @Jenna @JustMeUwU @LoveMyMoonflowers @NightOwl2003 @Plantsaremybestfriends @sentientape @SillyBlue32 @SleepyShyCat @smileking @smolLITTLEpotato @SomebodySpicy @StressedGirl @SunnyCat0 @teenytinyturtle @theboymoana @tommy @unassumingPeach6421 @Vivikun9 @wishfulWillow6962 @Zahrian2112
5 Positive Things About Being Autistic
by Jenna
Last post
September 30th, 2023
...See more When you think of autism, do limitations and impairments come to mind? Unfortunately, the field of psychology has traditionally framed autism as only a disability. Professional descriptions and criteria of autism sadly emphasize what we can’t achieve rather than what we are capable of. Even we on the autism spectrum may also dwell on limitations due to the endless everyday challenges we face. However, research has shown that autism is a complex neurological variation with both strengths and weaknesses. There are plenty of potential benefits that can aid us and others if nurtured in a healthy way. 1) We can spot hidden patterns According to researcher Dr. Simon Baron-Cohen from the University of Cambridge, we are extremely high in a mental trait called “systemizing”. People with this trait are driven to uncover the hidden systems of reality, using focused observation, meticulous experimentation, and the creation of small model examples. Our autistic brains are geared to notice complex and systematic patterns in math, science, music, art, and language that others don’t perceive beyond the surface. For example, one of Baron-Cohen’s autistic patients spent his childhood playtime categorizing thousands of leaves into piles based on their shape and structure. At the time, this was misunderstood as an abnormal and obsessive behavior, but now we know he was engaging in extreme systemizing. Researchers like Baron-Cohen theorize that most of humanity’s greatest discoveries and inventions have been driven by the extreme systemizing trait found in autistic individuals. 2) We are focused on details Autistic people have especially strong attention to detail. While the social world is messy and unpredictable, concrete facts are reliable and comforting. When something interests us, we can hyperfocus and become highly attuned to particular details. In the past, this was misunderstood as a tendency to get distracted and miss the bigger picture, but now we know this can be an asset. In the right setting, our attention to detail can be applied to benefits like categorizing library books, noticing small print in legal texts or inspecting lines of software code. Some companies have successfully run special programs to employ autistic people in environments that are specifically adapted to our needs and thinking styles. At HP Enterprise, these special teams are thirty percent better at finding faults in software than traditional teams, and it all comes down to our attention to detail. 3) We are perfectly honest Another striking trait of autistic people is our honesty. Our brains lack the wiring for white lies, manipulation, deception and scheming, so our language and actions are perfectly straightforward. We speak in totally literal and precise ways, and we deal only with straight facts, regardless of social consequences. In the past, our objectivity was misunderstood as a lack of politeness, but now we know that it can achieve goals more effectively. Imagine a friend, partner or employee who can never lie, twist facts, deny problems, spread rumors, take sides or engage in underhanded tactics. If others understand that we have good intentions, our bluntly honest advice and comments can be leveraged to enhance problem-solving. 4) We have a strong sense of justice The honesty of autistic people also extends to a strong sense of justice. We will pursue fairness, justice and ethics with little concern for personal consequences or social backlash. We are greatly distressed when animals are mistreated, when people are affected by a disaster or when rules are selectively bent to harm or benefit someone. For us, rules and principles are applied consistently, not just when it’s convenient to us, when it benefits those close to us, or when it’s socially acceptable. In the past, our sense of justice was misunderstood as a type of inflexible thinking, but now we know that it can be used to achieve a fairer society. We can excel in careers like teaching, law enforcement or care-giving, where we can apply kindness without any bias or corruption. In other areas, we can also be effective auditors or whistleblowers who value justice over personal reputation. 5) We have a unique perspective Autistic people are born with minds that don’t absorb the conventions, thought patterns and interests of others. We can feel isolated within our own individual thinking styles. When we try to explain ourselves, we find that language is too limiting and we might even need to invent new words. In the past, this was misunderstood as disordered or schizophrenic thinking, but now we know that our unconventional perspectives can lead to unique insights. We tend to be better at lateral thinking tests, abstract thinking and understanding non-human minds like computers and animals. When it comes to unconventional subject areas, it’s actually very helpful for us to have a totally eccentric way of thinking. So there you have it, five positive things about being autistic. Like all superpowers, these abilities need to be properly nurtured and applied to appropriate areas so they can flourish. References -Attwood, A. (2006). The Complete Guide to Asperger’s Syndrome. Jessica Kingsley Publishers. -Baron-Cohen, S. (2020). The Pattern Seekers: How Autism Drives Human Invention. Basic Books. -Bennett, M., Webster, A. A., Goodall, E., & Rowland, S. (2019). Life on the Autism Spectrum: Translating Myths and Misconceptions into Positive Futures. Springer. -O’Toole, J. C. (2018). Autism in Heels: The Untold Story of a Female Life on the Spectrum. Simon and Schuster. credit [x [https://psych2go.net/5-positive-things-about-being-autistic/]]
What Does Autism Mean To You
by beck1
Last post
September 21st, 2023
...See more Hey all you wonderful people! 👋 Many of you have requested that we make a thread about the basics of autism so here we are! 🙌 Its going to be a little bit of information and a little interactive 🙂. If you want to scroll through all the writing and head straight to the questions, that's okay too! 👇 What is autism? Autism is a neurodevelopmental condition that may cause social, communicative and behavioral challenges. Simply put, autism is basically something that can affect the way we view the world and how we communicate with others. Autistic Traits Autism isn't always noticeable! Society has its own belief of what autism is but really, there is no "face" to an autistic person. Here are some traits you may see in yourself if you are autistic 💟 Being literal 💟 Reduced range of emotions or expressions 💟 Stimming / fidgeting 💟 "Black and white" / rigid thinking 💟 Creativity 💟 Poor / excessive use of eye contact 💟 Anxiety around change 💟 Needing structure / routines 💟 Sensory issues 💟 Echolalia 💟 Difficulty fitting in 💟 Special interests 💟 Difficulty making and maintaining friendships This is not all autistic traits, just some that I picked out so that you all could have a voice and share your own experiences Now to the fun part - the questions!! ✨ If you were to describe autism to someone, how would you describe it? ✨ What autistic traits do you have? (They can be from the list or others) ✨ What ways do you think being autistic impacts your life? These impacts can be positive or negative ------------------------- Some other threads that you might find interesting 😮 💻 Teaching Listeners About Autism [https://www.7cups.com/forum/autism/DiscussionsResources_2596/TeachingListenersAboutAutism_312039/] - check this thread out if you would like to teach the listeners here a little more about autism 💻 Taglist [https://www.7cups.com/forum/autism/CommunitySpace_2575/AutismAutomatedTaglist_306815/] - Feel free to sign up to our taglist so that you can be tagged in threads like this one!! 💻 5 Things You Shouldn't Say To Someone On The Autism Spectrum [https://www.7cups.com/forum/autism/DiscussionsResources_2596/5ThingsYouShouldntSaytoSomeoneontheAutismSpectrum_311937/] - @Jenna did an awesome job putting this thread together. Definitely recommend checking it out. (all blue, underlined text is clickable) ------------------------- Taglist : @Alwayshungry983 @AutiBoy @azuladragon34 @beck1 @courteousCoconut2519 @Fozziewozzie @GwydionRowan @HarmonyBlossom @HatsEatYou @Howegeorgia @Jenna @JustMeUwU @LoveMyMoonflowers @NightOwl2003 @Plantsaremybestfriends @sentientape @SillyBlue32 @SleepyShyCat @smileking @smolLITTLEpotato @SomebodySpicy @StressedGirl @SunnyCat0 @teenytinyturtle @theboymoana @tommy @unassumingPeach6421 @Vivikun9 @wishfulWillow6962 @Zahrian2112
A guide to Autism and Panic attacks. Open to all
by sunshinegiraffe123
Last post
September 19th, 2023
...See more Hi. I've gotten some members who ask me what happens when I have a meltdown or some that appear shy to talk to me when I'm in one. I have had listeners who refuse to talk to me because they end up getting confused. I've had mods who get very confused due to not knowing the way to interact with me. Hopefully this will help you all out! - Allie
Teaching Listeners About Autism
by beck1
Last post
September 18th, 2023
...See more 👋 Hi Awesome People!!! 👋 As most of you may know, we are always looking for ways to help Listeners [https://www.7cups.com/BrowseListeners/]support members in the best way that they can! Sometimes Listeners come to Cups not really knowing about certain topics but eager to learn! That's where you all come in! 🙌 What are some things that you wish Listeners knew about Autism? This could be anything from knowing the basic description of what autism really is to the best ways to communicate during the chats! Although some of you may have had negative experiences with Listeners, I ask that you please don't bring that on this thread! You can definitely turn those negative experiences into things that you would like to see Listeners say/do/know! I'm always available in PMs is anyone has any questions or concerns about this! ------------------------- Some other threads that you might find interesting 😮 💻 Welcome Thread [https://www.7cups.com/forum/autism/General_2554/WelcomeTotheAutismSupport_309588/] - come introduce yourself and check out all the awesome things about this community. 💻 Taglist [https://www.7cups.com/forum/autism/CommunitySpace_2575/AutismAutomatedTaglist_306815/] - Feel free to sign up to our taglist so that you can be tagged in threads like this one!! ------------------------- Tag list @Alwayshungry983 @azuladragon34 @Fozziewozzie @GwydionRowan @HarmonyBlossom @HatsEatYou @Howegeorgia @Jenna @JustMeUwU @NightOwl2003 @Plantsaremybestfriends @sentientape @SillyBlue32 @SleepyShyCat @smolLITTLEpotato @StressedGirl @SunnyCat0 @teenytinyturtle @theboymoana @tommy @unassumingPeach6421 @Vivikun9 @wishfulWillow6962 @Zahrian2112

Autism All blue and underlined text is clickable

Welcome to Autism! This is a safe, supportive and inclusive space for you to discuss everything and anything related to Autism. Our main goal is to support everyone that stops by and make this sub community one that is inclusive! 

What are the different forum topics for Autism?

Community Space: A place for icebreakers, introductions, discussions and community check-ins.

Discussions & Resources: Want to get involved in the latest discussions? Find them here!

Living with Autism: Do you live with autism? Talk about your experiences here.

How can I help?

You can help us by simply responding to threads and sharing your story (if you're comfortable). Check-in with us, join a discussion, or start one! Alternatively, you can join us as a Forum Leader. Check out this thread for more information.

Helpful Threads

Taglist: Do you want to stay up to date with our community? Then join our tag list to be notified whenever there is a new discussion or update within the community!

Help! I still have a question!

If you need help, feel free to contact a community leader or post here, and someone will contact you!

Autism FAQ

Are there any sub-community-specific guidelines that we need to adhere to?

You can find Sub-community-specific guidelines below, which you should follow in addition to the general forum guidelines.

Is this sub community just for people who have been diagnosed with Autism?

Nope! Everyone is welcome here! Whether you have been diagnosed or not, feel free to come pull up a chair and join us! This space is inclusive and no matter your story, we would love for you to be here 

How do I navigate the sub-community?

You can find a handy guide here on how to find your way around our forum. 

I have another question…

We love questions! You can ask your questions in this thread and someone will respond to you as soon as possible.

Community Leaders
Forum Supporter
Community Resources