Community /

Autism Support

Create a New Thread
Gif Photo Link
Autism Automated Taglist!
by tommy
Last post
August 16th
...See more Welcome to the Autism Taglist This thread is an auto-updating list. The list is regularly updated by forum leaders and can be found below. Having issues? Reply below and someone will help you! Why should I join the taglist? ✔ Never miss out on sub-community check-ins, discussions or events ✔ Get tagged and notified by community leaders whenever a new relevant thread has been posted ✔ Become a more active member of the community. What do I need to do? ✅ To add yourself to this taglist, press the Post to Thread button below and write the exact words Please add me. ❌ To remove yourself from this taglist, press the Post to Thread button below and write the exact words Please remove me. ------------------------- Current taglist as of 29 Dec (updated by tommy) @Alwayshungry983 @AutiBoy @azuladragon34 @beck1 @courteousCoconut2519 @Fozziewozzie @GwydionRowan @HarmonyBlossom @HatsEatYou @Howegeorgia @Jenna @JovianPlutonian @JustMeUwU @llemonz @LoveMyMoonflowers @NeurospicyGirl @NightOwl2003 @pineapple7722 @Plantsaremybestfriends @RainbowRosie @sentientape @silentbuster26 @SillyBlue32 @SleepyShyCat @smolLITTLEpotato @softParadise5949 @Stasia86 @StressedGirl @SunnyCat0 @teenytinyturtle @theboymoana @tommy @Trosclair03 @Twigo7 @unassumingPeach6421 @Vivikun9 @wishfulWillow6962 @Zahrian2112
5 Things You Shouldn’t Say to Someone on the Autism Spectrum
by Jenna
Last post
May 14th
...See more Although the general public has become more aware of autism, there’s still a long way to go. The autistic community has commonly been told some phrases that we frankly don’t want to hear. These comments can be ignorant and hurtful, even with good intentions. Here are five things you shouldn’t say to someone on the autism spectrum. 1) “You can’t possibly be autistic” Why would you flat-out deny something I know I am? It’s not up to you to decide who is autistic! We often get this comment when others hear that we have a relationship, a job, a child, or an educational qualification. They become skeptical and say, “But you’re doing so well. You can’t possibly be autistic!” Unusually, we also get this from those who are very familiar with autism. A parent might say, “You’re not autistic! You’re nothing like my autistic child who can’t do anything independently.” The truth is that everyone with autism is different and a diagnosis is not destiny. We consider it prejudiced to assume that autistic people are all lost causes who can’t possibly succeed in life. We can be capable of so much if we have an open mind. 2) “You must be good at math” Not this misconception again! We get it, you’ve heard too many negative things about autism and you want to compliment us instead. But again, we’re all different. People on the autism spectrum have just as much variety as those outside it. This includes our abilities, which don’t always match the media stereotype. Some of us are great at math and some of us are terrible. Some of us are natural with computers and some of us are technologically illiterate. Some of us are savants and some of us struggle intellectually. Just like you, there’s no single profile of our mental abilities. Putting some abilities on a pedestal can exclude autistic people who lack those abilities and make them feel inferior. 3) “You don’t look autistic. You seem so normal” What does this even mean? How does someone look autistic? How does someone look normal? We’re physically no different from the rest of you. There’s no way for someone to look autistic at all. This comment is even worse if this is supposed to be a compliment. It suggests that seeming “autistic” is inferior and seeming “normal” is an ideal standard. We’re just different from you and we don’t want to be forced to be someone we’re not. 4) “What’s it like to be autistic?” What a strange and generic question. I might as well ask you, “What’s it like to be not autistic?” We don’t even know where to begin to answer this. Being autistic is everything we know. It’s in every single experience we have from day to day. Also, there’s no unified autistic life experience. Every autistic person has their own unique life, with experiences different from the others. Are there any experiences that are universally shared between all of us? Sure. We all get asked these silly questions. 5) “Everyone’s on the autism spectrum” No, they’re not. Trust me. Those who make this comment are suggesting that everyone understands and shares our struggles to some degree. Is this supposed to make us feel better? Well, it doesn’t work, because it’s a totally false suggestion. Others don’t know what it’s like to be autistic and never will. As funny as it is to say, only autistic people are autistic. This comment isn’t reassuring, it’s totally dismissive of our unique struggles and experiences. Have you heard any of the comments mentioned in the article? References Brown, L. (2012, February 27). 15 Things You Should Never Say To An Autistic. AWN. https://awnnetwork.org/15-things-you-should-never-say-to-an-autistic/ Hirschberg, E. (2017, December 13). What To Say & What Not To Say To Someone With Autism. Research Autism. https://researchautism.org/what-to-say-what-not-to-say-to-someone-with-autism/ [https://researchautism.org/what-to-say-what-not-to-say-to-someone-with-autism/] Stout, A. (2016, July 6). 11 Things Not to Say to Someone with Autism. The Autism Site. https://blog.theautismsite.greatergood.com/dont-say-autism/ [https://blog.theautismsite.greatergood.com/dont-say-autism/] credit [x [https://psych2go.net/5-things-you-shouldnt-say-to-someone-on-the-autism-spectrum/]]
World Autism Awareness Day: Moving from Surviving to Thriving!
by SoulfullyAButterfly
Last post
April 3rd
...See more Hi everyone, Today, April 2nd, is World Autism Awareness Day! This year's theme, "Moving from Surviving to Thriving: Autistic Individuals share regional perspectives," is all about creating a world where autistic people can not just cope, but flourish. The UN's World Autism Awareness Day event will feature autistic panelists from all over the globe. You can find more information and the livestream link here: UN World Autism Awareness Day [https://www.un.org/en/observances/autism-day]  Tips for Thriving: ✨ Self-advocacy: Learning to communicate your needs and preferences is crucial. There are many resources available to help you develop your self-advocacy skills. ✨ Find your community: Connecting with other autistic people can be a source of support and understanding. The 7 Cups Autism Community is growing every day - subscribe by clicking join this community here [https://www.7cups.com/forum/autism/]. ✨ Explore your interests: Autistic people often have many passions and dedication to focus. Explore your interests and find ways to make them a part of your life. ✨ Seek professional help: If you are struggling, don't hesitate to seek professional help. Therapists and counselors can provide valuable support and guidance. Here are some questions to explore: 🌻 What are some of the biggest barriers you face as an autistic person in your community? 🌻 What kind of support has helped you the most on your journey? 🌻 What are you passionate about? How can you use your unique skills to make a difference? Looking forward to hearing from all of you!
Whoosh and Happy September - Autism Support 🌹
by RainbowRosie
Last post
3 days ago
...See more Hi everyone, Where has the month gone…time seems to go so quickly and whoosh we’ve now stepped into September! How are you doing?  For me, work has been so very busy and taken up so much of my headspace. It’s only now it’s slowed down a little that I’ve been thinking about self care. I’m definitely prioritising my self care. I do enjoy a bit shopping so yesterday I had a lovely day out. Retail therapy certainly works for me! I feel great too.. What works for you?  Please do feel free to share. I’d love to hear from you. Alternatively if you don’t want to answer, not a problem, do drop by to say ‘hi’ 😀 I’d love to meet you ❤️ Thanks Rosie 🌹
Autism Automated Taglist!
by tommy
Last post
August 16th
...See more Welcome to the Autism Taglist This thread is an auto-updating list. The list is regularly updated by forum leaders and can be found below. Having issues? Reply below and someone will help you! Why should I join the taglist? ✔ Never miss out on sub-community check-ins, discussions or events ✔ Get tagged and notified by community leaders whenever a new relevant thread has been posted ✔ Become a more active member of the community. What do I need to do? ✅ To add yourself to this taglist, press the Post to Thread button below and write the exact words Please add me. ❌ To remove yourself from this taglist, press the Post to Thread button below and write the exact words Please remove me. ------------------------- Current taglist as of 29 Dec (updated by tommy) @Alwayshungry983 @AutiBoy @azuladragon34 @beck1 @courteousCoconut2519 @Fozziewozzie @GwydionRowan @HarmonyBlossom @HatsEatYou @Howegeorgia @Jenna @JovianPlutonian @JustMeUwU @llemonz @LoveMyMoonflowers @NeurospicyGirl @NightOwl2003 @pineapple7722 @Plantsaremybestfriends @RainbowRosie @sentientape @silentbuster26 @SillyBlue32 @SleepyShyCat @smolLITTLEpotato @softParadise5949 @Stasia86 @StressedGirl @SunnyCat0 @teenytinyturtle @theboymoana @tommy @Trosclair03 @Twigo7 @unassumingPeach6421 @Vivikun9 @wishfulWillow6962 @Zahrian2112
Friend feeling like I crossed the line
by Summershy
Last post
March 6th
...See more Hi: I live on the autism spectrum and I was told today that the way I handled a situation poorly.    First of all,  I have been carrying a grudge against a fake friend who I went to school with because she has never really treated me very well.   However, I had been in contact with another close friend of hers as we were getting along so well.   Though I had been thinking about reconnecting with the fake friend, I did some thinking and felt that she wasn't very nice to me.   Additionally, I had not spoken with this person for over 12 years since she jerked me around on social media and then blocked me.    In the meantime, I had been talking to her friend who has been getting false information from this person about why she doesn't talk to me.   When this close friend and I first talked, the other person wanted to work on forgiving me. Well, after some time, I had a chance to re-evaluate the relationship and felt like this person was a jerk to me as well as extremely manipulative.    So I wrote her a letter using "I feel," statements in mentioning why and what not.  Well, her close friend came back and attacked me for sending a nasty letter.   She also said that she didn't want to talk to me anymore because I said mean things.  However, this person didn't contact me herself.  When I went to talk about it with a friend, she told me that she said it was not a good idea to send a letter.   This was because this former fake friend and I had not been in contact recently.   She said that it would have been better for me to tell her close friend without overly explaining myself.   Moreover, she said that it seemed like I wrote that letter out of a lot of unchecked anger.   Honestly, I think that she is probably right because I have been mad at her for a while.   However, I am not going to beat myself up for calling out a bad friend for the way that she hurt me in the past. 
Sensory Integration and Processing
by SparklingSeashells
Last post
November 13th, 2023
...See more Hiya everyone. I haven't seen much on the forum about sensory overload, and as it's something I've been learning about after my own assessnent, I thought I'd write a bit, share some knowledge and share some acknowledgement to those struggling. People primarily think of there being five senses, but there are now eight recognised ones. Visual, auditory, gustatory (taste), tactile, olfactory (smell), vesitublar (balance), proprioceptive (movement), and interoceptive (internal). The last three, you may not have heard much about. Vestibular is to do with the receptors in your ears. This sense in particular can really help to regulate, so you may see others, or you yourself may rock to regulate. My body knew it needed it even before my assessment so I did it occasionally before being encouraged to do it more. Proprioceptive can be really helpful to ground ourselves. Our coordination is linked to this sense. You may be really good at small, fiddly tasks, but find it harder to do gross motor activities, such as driving, where your whole body is needed, or vice versa. Interoception is a hard one, and still much more research is taking place. This is the sense that tells us if we are hungry, thirsty, too hot, even down to our emotions. So sometimes we may not recognise these sensations, mistake them for others, feel them in unusual parts of our body, or be overwhelmed by them. For people who struggle with sensory issues, each sense will either be modulation, discrimination, or both. Modulation is being overwhelmed by a sense, in simple terms, and discrimination is having a hard time perceiving it. It might be that we don't recognise it, or don't know whether it is important or not for our brain to process. Having both modulation and discrimination for a sense is very hard, as many won't recognise the 0-99 but be so overwhelmed at the 100, so it is harder to work on it before reaching a meltdown point. So what can you do to help yourself? This will very much be personal to you, for it is determined by each sense, and what you need more of, or are overwhelmed by. Sometimes, we can aid ourselves by using senses together, for example using both touch and vision to find something in a bag. As I listed above, some senses are particularly helpful for regulating, and stimming strategies will help, whatever they look like to you. They can help both in the moment, and if you know something is coming up, you can use these strategies before. Some people use them everyday, at a regular interval. Sometimes it will be very natural and your body will help you know what to do. Things like music are helpful. Outsider's may question, how it can help if you get auditory overload, but you are in control of it. It may not be effective for some people. To all the people struggling, you are not alone. It's okay to let your mask down. Its okay to need different things to others. Please don't best yourself up for it. Its a lot of info but thought someone might benefit from it. Happy to answer any questions to the best of my ability 💜
Has Autism vs Autistic: A Quick Comparison of Person-First and Identity-First Languages
by RainbowTrie
Last post
February 4th, 2021
...See more Has Autism vs Autistic: A Quick Comparison of Person-First and Identity-First Languages By: RainbowTrie When referring to someone on the autism spectrum, there are generally two options. You could refer to them as: A. A person WITH AUTISM (or a person who HAS AUTISM) or B. An AUTISTIC person Option A is an example of Person-First language. The idea is to address the person first and the disability second in an effort to be more humanizing and avoid degrading slurs. It is often used by medical professionals, habilitation therapists, and some parents. Option B is an example of Identity-First language. It is gaining popularity within autistic communities and is supported due to the encompassing nature of autism. Many individuals embrace autism as a major part of their identity and dont consider their personhood to be separated from it. Neither option is entirely correct or incorrect. Rather, both come with their own set of pros and cons. Always respect the choice of the autistic individual should they make it known. If the individual is a child, respect the choice of their parent. If youre worried about making a mistake, the best thing to do is just ask. Theyll be glad you did – as it shows that youre knowledgeable, aware, and considerate of their disability. Some people have a strong preference for either Person-First or Identity-First language and some dont care either way. The most important thing is that we respect the right of autistic individuals to be addressed in a way that they find accepting and compassionate. More Resources: 1. I [http://autisticadvocacy.org/home/about%C2%A0asan/identity%C2%A0first%C2%A0language/]dentity First Language Overview 2. Using the Word Autistic VS Saying Someone Has Autism [http://lovinadoptin.com/2015/01/27/its-in-a-word-autistic-vs-has-autism/] 3. Examples of using Person-First and Identity-First Language [http://www.inclusionproject.org/nip_userfiles/file/People%20First%20Chart.pdf]
Why Allistic Parents/Guardians Need Autistic Friends
by Xenologer
Last post
February 24th, 2018
...See more https://timetolisten.blogspot.com/2014/05/you-yes-you-need-autistic-friends.html So your child was just diagnosed with autism. Breathe. Breathe deeper. Relax. It'll all be ok. But you have some work to do. The first thing you need to do isn't find therapists. It isn't commiserate with other parents. It isn't become an AAC expert (though all of these things have their place!). It's something not in the autism introduction packet: you need to connect on a human level with adults like your child. You need to go make some Autistic friends. I don't mean a mentoring relationship, though those are extremely important and I am a big fan of mentoring (and mentoring your child & being friends with you are not mutually exclusive). I definitely don't mean "translate my child to me" (which is not a friend thing particularly). I mean find local Autistic adults with whom you have common interests and connect as equal human adult people. There are a whole lot of reasons this is the best thing you can do for your child: The link has a lot of reasons why this would be extremely helpful. It seems like we have at least as many allistic people in this forum looking to understand us as we do autistic people looking for support from one another, and those can be very different needs. They can still be compatible needs when allistic people are willing to relate to us as peers, though, and that's always easier to do when we're socially present as something other than improvement projects or half-people who need to be completed before we are relatable. Adult autistics are like your kids. The better roots you have in the community, the more support both you and your kid will have.

Autism All blue and underlined text is clickable

Welcome to Autism! This is a safe, supportive and inclusive space for you to discuss everything and anything related to Autism. Our main goal is to support everyone that stops by and make this sub community one that is inclusive! 

What are the different forum topics for Autism?

Community Space: A place for icebreakers, introductions, discussions and community check-ins.

Discussions & Resources: Want to get involved in the latest discussions? Find them here!

Living with Autism: Do you live with autism? Talk about your experiences here.

How can I help?

You can help us by simply responding to threads and sharing your story (if you're comfortable). Check-in with us, join a discussion, or start one! Alternatively, you can join us as a Forum Leader. Check out this thread for more information.

Helpful Threads

Taglist: Do you want to stay up to date with our community? Then join our tag list to be notified whenever there is a new discussion or update within the community!

Help! I still have a question!

If you need help, feel free to contact a community leader or post here, and someone will contact you!

Autism FAQ

Are there any sub-community-specific guidelines that we need to adhere to?

You can find Sub-community-specific guidelines below, which you should follow in addition to the general forum guidelines.

Is this sub community just for people who have been diagnosed with Autism?

Nope! Everyone is welcome here! Whether you have been diagnosed or not, feel free to come pull up a chair and join us! This space is inclusive and no matter your story, we would love for you to be here 

How do I navigate the sub-community?

You can find a handy guide here on how to find your way around our forum. 

I have another question…

We love questions! You can ask your questions in this thread and someone will respond to you as soon as possible.

Community Leaders
Forum Supporter
Community Resources