Skip to main content Skip to bottom nav

isolation

SLJ February 26th, 2015

Hey everyone,

My life is pretty good, I do a lot of things that I enjoy doing and I'm generally pretty happy,
but I do have social anxiety. I don't have any friends and I don't know any people that I trust enough to befriend. When I go outside or I go to the store or whatever it makes me feel really paranoid when theres a lot of people around me. I'm afraid to run into people I know or to interact with anyone. It makes me feel awkward and I just want to go back home as quickly as I can. I can feel it getting worse because I'm now wondering how I'm ever going to have a social life. I don't ever really miss having friends but it freaks me out that I don't have them, because no one is really there for me and that makes me feel a little scared and lonely sometimes. I guess I'm really isolated and I don't know how to deal with it or if I should break through and how

February 26th, 2015

I know what you mean. Over the last few years I have also felt very lonely. I have feel like I have lost a lot of friends and don?t have the social life I use too. Now when I go out I don?t feel confident in myself.
You say you do a lot of things? Are they hobbies? If so, you sound like quite a confident person. I suppose it is about taking it one step at a time. Keep exercising your tongue by trying to talk to everyone and everyone, even it is just to say hello.
I thought the same as you, I thought that I didn?t need friends, but trust me, it gets awfully lonely. Don?t make the same mistake I did. Get out there and take it one step at a time.

sashacass March 2nd, 2015

I have social anxiety too and I get most of my social interaction on the internet. I would like to make friends but I am scared of having to go to social/activity clubs by myself and don't have the confidence to talk to strangers much. Plus I also get nervous taking the bus in the dark, which puts me right off going to evening events as I'd then have no choice but to get the bus in the dark. It's bad enough coming home from work on winter evenings!

LovePom March 2nd, 2015

I feel the same way. My mom and friends are always trying to take me places, but I reject it b/c I feel scared to go somewhere in public. I hate it b/c I really can't even stand to be anywhere with people. I don't even like being in a room with my family. I'm just that paranoid. I really think you should talk to a professional about this so he/she can try to help you in anyway possible. It may take a while getting used to being around others, but Iknow that it's not possible. ^^