Skip to main content Skip to bottom nav

friend with social anxiety

username1232323 February 10th, 2020

I am currently in a friendship with someone I care about dearly. I have recently learned that they are struggling with many issues and social anxiety is one of them. Can anyone help explain more about social anxiety and anything I can do to help support him? Thanks.

Karrot February 12th, 2020

@username1232323

Social anxiety is is intense anxiety or fear of being judged, negatively evaluated, or rejected in a social or performance situation. It can effect an individual in their day to day life in many different situations that can cause them to be anxious. Being there to support him can be really helpful. You can also try to if you see them experiencing the anxiety run them though grounding excercises like midnfulness meditation. A grounding excercise known as 54321 where you get them to tell you 5 things they see 4 things they can feel 3 things they can hear 2 things they can smell and one thing they can taste this allows you to calm youself down and really get back to reality. Being there as a support can be really helpful to him and letting him that he is not alone and you are there with him.