Skip to main content Skip to bottom nav

Wondering About Anxiety

WanderingGeek March 2nd, 2016

I've always been a bit of an over thinker, but I started noticing last year that I was obsessing over my school work and that stressful things affected me more than my peers. Within the last few months, I've felt a lot more nervous, a lot more awkward with social interactions, and I've had more trouble sleeping than usual. I also developed a fear of the dark maybe six months ago. However, I only have one of the physical symptoms: nausea. I'm wondering if I might have anxiety, or if I'm overreacting. I've taken a few screenings online, but I get different results from each one. I really want yo know if this is something I should seek he'll for, or if it is normal.

exampligratia March 2nd, 2016

@WanderingGeek

You probably already know this but if you didn't, those online tests are no substitute for a psychologist/psychiatrist/trained person.

You might just be experiencing normal stress. Like you, I didn't really feel the heat of being in college until a year of studying had passed. Then only started feeling stressed and stuff.

As for the social stuff, maybe its in your subconscious. Yknow, we live in an increasingly visual "here and now" society where you have to be cool, dating, partying and such so that might be affecting the way you handle social stuff.

Maybe you're just experiencing more stress than usual. Something like depression except its not actual depression. You're just feeling run down for a longer period than usual but not as long or as severe and depression.

What people might say as "being down in the dumps". Ha. If so, it'll pass eventually.

But anyway, if you need to seek professional help. A counselor at your place of study or see a private one.

All the best.

Cheeney March 3rd, 2016

Online screenings.. That takes me back. I used to do a lot of them too. Needless to say, they're incapable of making a 100% correct diagnosis, but they provide an indication.
It is up to you if you want to seek help or not. One question that's important here is, how much distress is your anxiety causing you? Are you confident in your ability to handle anxiety on your own? (okay, that's two questions, you got me)
There's absolutely no shame in seeking help and saying ''I can't do this on my own for much longer''. Listen to what your body is telling you and go with your gut instinct.