Skip to main content Skip to bottom nav

Paralyzed by the fear of talking

TropicalLights June 13th, 2020

I've been considering dropping out of college for about half a year and I think it'll be best for me but I completely freeze up when I know I need to talk to my parents. I'm mortified by the idea of telling them when I know they probably won't agree. It feels like everyone will be against me if I'm honest about my thoughts and feelings. I keep doubting myself and having nervous breakdowns but the cycle is never ending. My chest hurts whenever I try to think about talking to them. I'm crippled by the fear of talking to others about anything slighlty personal in case they don't like it. I don't have any close friends and no one to confide it. I'm scared to change but I'm also scared to stay the same because I know I wasn't happy in college. I don't know what to do and I've been in this same place for a long time but can't seem to move. Any advice on how to effectively communicate without having a anxiety attack, freezing up, or avoiding it altogether?

fluffyPanda3 June 13th, 2020

Maybe try writing down what you want to say to them first (I find this makes me calmer about talking because I then have my thoughts sorted out, particularly if i have to be persuasive or it could become an argument). If you absolutely can't talk to your parents, do you feel capable telling them in written format like a text or even a letter? I hope this is helpful, my apologies if it is not @TropicalLights