Skip to main content Skip to bottom nav

New Medication. Advice and support?

navySkies4330 May 13th, 2015

I recently finally told my doctor about all of my symptoms and I am now taking the medication Prozac. I have only been taking it for two days and the only things I am experiencing are a little sickness, cold chills, dizziness, and being really sleepy. I have heard some people say it takes a long time or a short time for me to actually reap the benefits of the medicine. It is just kindadiscouraging to have to hold on so long.

kintala May 13th, 2015

Hi NavySkies,

Don't be discouraged. Sometimes it takes a while for medication to get into your system and start working. I know that it's frustrating, but just take it one step at a time. That can be a little less overwhelming than thinking about the big picture! Cheers!

JessiSkii May 13th, 2015

If it takes longer speak to your doctor on how the medication is making you feel with the dizziness and such. Medication do take time to work and as you said its only been two days. I know its hard to wait for it to fully work but our bodies just takes time to take in the medication and get use to what it suppose to help you with.

May 14th, 2015

Do keep in touch with your doctor's office, but different meds take time to give you a leg up. I've never been on Prozac, but I do know that the side effects of the meds Ihave been on haven't lasted more than a few weeks.

I may stand alone, and you (and others may disagree), and I'll apologize up front for overstepping my bounds, butI believe that medication is usually just a leg up. For me, it took the edge off, but was no panacea.

When I finally fell apart, after suffering silently forway too many years (self-medicating, but surprisinglystill functional) against medical advice, I remained an outpatient. I was seeing a psychiatristata major teaching hospital for two one hour sessions / week. That went on for almost two years.

During that time, Icompletely gave up any substance (including daily coffee) which could be addictive.

I journaled every single day. (Not in a public blog or anything like that.)

I also began studying meditation and Buddhism (which I was very interested in since I was about 13 years old)very seriously, going to four hours of instruction and public meditation classes / week.

I had been inso much pain for so very long I guess I just threw everything at the wall to see what stuck.

I had a very high pressure job in Manhattan when September 11th happened and that was the proverbial 'last straw'. Much of what I remember was laying on the floor and watching MTV (that was when they still had music) and listening to REM's 'Everybody Hurts' and falling apart.

I guess whatreally pushed me was the fear of being in the hospital. Actually, it wasn'tmyfear, but the "how will I tell family & friends" type of BS. Now, years later, I'd see it as a welcome 'vacation' from the normal every day stressors. If someone has something to say, they are not significant in my life. It seems cut and dry, but sometimes you have to put your own safety and well being ahead of others. (When you fly, they always tell you that if the oxygen masks come down, put yours onbefore your child's! You are not helpful if you are passed out.)

Try and show yourself the loving kindness, understanding, and patience you would show another. Give yourself time. Seek out help.

I won't say "good luck". (I always hated that English expression; it hasnothing to do with luck.

Be kind. Be brave. Be courageous. Be strong.

maxh May 23rd, 2015

It may indeed be that Prozac isn't the medication that's appropriate for you, but unfortunately it does take some time for your medication levels to reach a steady state. During this time it is especially important to be diligent in keeping to your schedule.