Skip to main content Skip to bottom nav

Job or mental health?

amiablePal9825 March 11th, 2021

So I guess I'm writing here looking to see if anyone has been in a similar situation or knows anyone who's been though this. I work in social care which is A very high stress environment but I've been doing it for two years and I've always loved it. A few months ago I was moved to a different location in my job and I'm really struggling. At the start I thought I wasn't giving myself enough time to settle in but now a few months in I feel worse than ever.
It's starting to take an effect on my mental health and my anxiety is at an all time high. I've been experiencing sleepless nights, panic attacks, and weight loss from vomiting. My shifts are 24 hours and I spend the entire time trying not to cry, shaking, or physically getting sick from the stress.
I feel like my entire life is made up of being anxious in work or being at home anxious about going into work.
I'm at the stage when I'm debating handing in my notice and just leaving myself with no job. The idea of being stuck with no job and only my savings to support myself is making me anxious but I honestly can't imagine having to work their any longer.
I'm afraid the state of my mental health is just going to keep getting worst if I stay but im also afraid to just up and leave because that all sounds so over the top to me.
I guess I'm looking for guidance, or reassurance or something along those lines because I'm afraid I'm going to be stuck feeling trapped in this anxiety bubble forever.

thehibernator March 11th, 2021

@amiablePal9825 my take is that if your job is damaging you mental health, you need go find a job that doesn't.

agreeableHickory9108 March 11th, 2021

Hey there ❤️ I'm sorry that you are going through this. First of all, health is important than your job..if you are sick, you won't be able to work further, so your priority should be your health. Now, as you have rightly said, jobs come hard these days, and leaving it altogether is not an option. If it is possible, you can ask for a role change, or request them to change your posting. Try to explain to them, how it is affecting you, mention how you have worked perfectly well in last two years, and what changed. Also, if you can get a break from it, take it. And whenever you are at home, you might need something to take your mind off work, be it movie night, with friends, just talking with them over phone will help taking your mind off. From your experience I get that you like the job, as you mentioned that you did well in two years, so either the role assigned to you now or the location itself is taking a toll on your mental health. However, if you don't like it anymore, you might want to keep looking for other options, while you keep working in the same. I hope you come through this, stronger and more powerful Stay strong, and take care of yourselves Much love ♥️

Rhiannon12 March 11th, 2021

You are more important than anything else. If it is taking a toll on you, you need to do what is best for you and leave. Perhaps take a couple of personal days to breathe and stick your nose onto job boards, see what else is out there. You're a hard worker who im sure is wonderful at their job, but you need to do what is best for you!

Ellory1705 March 13th, 2021

I’m in a similar situation and three people just confirmed for me that I may need to choose my health. But my husband is also out of work so I’m supporting us. I’m so sorry you’re grappling with this choice. It sometimes helps me to carve out “safe time”...an hour or two where I force myself to block out the stress and do something distracting. Phone off. Puzzle. Stupid movie. You name it. Anything but job hunting and obsessing over money. I say that like it’s easy, but it’s one of the hardest things I do each week. It feels awful at first. But I’m told if I make it routine it will be healthier. In any case, hang in there, breathe, eat, drink water, so the basics and you’ll get through it.