Skip to main content Skip to bottom nav

I took the courage to open the door, but behind it... was another door!

intuitiveWater9305 July 29th, 2017

Hoping for inputs from everyone here!

So I just came from roughly eight weeks of anxiousness. My mind is a little bit clearer now but I feel like the slightest thing could bring it back. surprise

My story is, I've graduated college last May and am currently unemployed. surprise Although I got an internship offer already that may open up to other positions in the company, smiley I cannot finalize the contract just yet frown (and my application was approved exactly a month ago). The reason for this is that I still do not have the overwhelming surprise documents needed. It took much energy for me to apply, but when I was finally approved, I realized there were even more things I had to do that I didn't know about! cheeky

I know I have to sift through this "unlocked" to-do list but just thinking about it is being faced with the risk of relapsing into anxiousness again.

What I'm hoping from this thread are funny stories of the unexpected. (I tried to make both the thread title and the thread post funny but I think I did better with the former.) Of course if you have a story but don't think it's that funny, I'd appreciate that as well. I just don't want to feel so alone in this, being faced with something right after thinking that's all there is to it. smiley

HopieRemi July 29th, 2017

@intuitiveWater9305

Hey there! This is a neat thread idea! Also congrats on graduating and for taking the initiative and applying! Good luck with everything.

intuitiveWater9305 OP July 29th, 2017

@BurningEmber

Thank you so much!

Now that I think about it, I hope everyone gets a (positive) kick from the stories here. Can't wait for them~ laugh

wontwakewontsleep July 29th, 2017

@intuitiveWater9305 - Great idea. I often worry about bad things happen, but rarely worry that something good will happen.

Here's a small one for you: In the middle of my dragging work day, my friend said to me: "Guess what just happened!" I immediately imagined something horrible happened, then maybe something wonderful. The real answer made me laugh. "Just that another hour has passed!" So, maybe not such a whimsical story, but from the fog of my depression I was definitely not expecting such a jarringly simple answer, so it made me laugh. It reminded me that I ought to pay more attention to the little things that are enjoyable, like having one less hour to be at work.

Also, here are two quotes that your title reminded me of:

"All the doors you had yet seen...were doors in; here you came upon a door out. The strange thing to you...will be, the more doors you go out of, the farther you get in." - George MacDonald

"One need not be a chamber to be haunted; One need not be a house; The brain has corridors surpassing Material place." - Emily Dickinson

intuitiveWater9305 OP July 29th, 2017

@wontsleepwontwake

You and your friend made my day better. :'D I will keep in mind both the quotes and the story.

HopieRemi July 29th, 2017

@wontsleepwontwake

hahaha omg that is so funny x)

AndreaMendezLCSW September 3rd, 2017

@intuitiveWater9305

Good for you that you were able to move past your fears and apply! I am going to share a quick story that I think is much less funny and hopefully more encouraging. I want you to know that you are not alone out there in finding out that there is something "more" to do when you thought you had really reached a milestone. So when my fiance and I moved to a new area, we were super excited. We love the area, and we plan to stay until retirement. Then we found out that none (we had four between us) of the jobs/contracts that we had were going to pan out! So though my fiance wanted to work as a licensed engineer, he went back to restaurant and bar management, which he has done for ten years. Easy, right? Nope! In our current state, he had to get (more) certifications in bar tending, serving, management, etc., etc.! It seems like every few weeks, there is another certification fee! I wanted to share this with you to hopefully encourage you to just keep going. Every time we heard there was another test or a fee, he took it, we paid, etc. Each time we were able to see a little bit more results and promise, as completing one step allowed him in training, then the other allowed him to serve, then the other allowed him to get the best sections, etc. I hope that you will be able to look for those tangible "wins" in the sitaution that will keep you going. You can do it!